13 replies to this topic

#1 salma

salma

Super Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:29 AM

A few months ago, I bought four lots of linen material and got Santa (the tailor) to sew me some pants. The guy I bought the material from said it would be OK to wash them. So, when I got my new really awesome pants back, I washed them (my hubby did suggest that I wash the material first before giving them to Santa to sew)!!! They have all shrunk now (short and tight). Is there anyting I can do to stretch them? I am a fool......... angry.gif

#2 smokey

smokey

Dhabi Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2367 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:30 AM

take them back to santa and demand rectification for his wrong advice.

#3 salma

salma

Super Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:38 AM

Smokie, it wasn't Santa. It was the guy I bought the linen from (Tamayeen Textiles). I went back but the guy does not work there anymore and I did not keep the receipt. So, they did not know who I was!! I am so silly....I should have known better than to wash linen. Sob.gif

#4 Pandatwins

Pandatwins

Presidential Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1937 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 01:40 PM

I agree its not Santa's fault. Although whenever I take any material to him he always asks me if I have washed the fabric first and if I haven't he makes the clothes a little bigger to allow for shrinkage.

As far as I am aware, linen shouldn't really shrink either!

Am not sure if you can stretch them back...

#5 Mapus

Mapus

Star Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 02:55 PM

Salma,

Sorry to hear about your trousers, I found 2 recipes on the net, have not tried them myself, but maybe they are worth a try!

Quote : Mix a solution of one gallon of lukewarm water and two tablespoons of baby shampoo. Soak the garment for about 10 minutes. Now the important part: Don't rinse! Simply blot out all the excess water with a dry towel and very gently lay the sweater flat on a fresh towel. Slowly and carefully stretch it back to its original size. Dry the sweater out of direct sunlight and heat. While this tip comes from the Wool Bureau, which verifies that the technique will work provided the fibers have not become permanently damaged, I've received reports from several readers who say it works equally well to unshrink linen. Unquote

An article from ehow:
http://www.ehow.com/...en-clothes.html

Good luck!

I am looking a for a good tailor, can you pls advise the coordinates of Santa? Thanks...

Edited by Mapus, 11 May 2009 - 03:37 PM.

#6 fatima

fatima

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 03:05 PM

anything that looks remotely like cotton or linen better be soaked in water for a good two and half hours even if the salesman swears by it. its very risky otherwise. you can ask the tailor... he might give you some idea if he can fix it. may be he will ask you for extra cloth... or he may have left some spare room along the seams and can make the whole thing bigger for you. try ur luck. he would be the best one to help you out..

#7 smokey

smokey

Dhabi Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2367 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 03:09 PM

does that mean that all the fabric for the store bought linen and cotton clothes have been pre washed because i haven't experienced any shrinking with both these fabrics before?

#8 Wigglecraft

Wigglecraft

Super Mentor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 03:30 PM

How much have they shrunk? I have bought linen pants and 100% linen fabric does "shrink" every time it is washed but loosens when worn ... I know I have pants that a "tight" in the morning and baggy by lunchtime! Scratch-Head.gif

#9 smokey

smokey

Dhabi Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2367 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 03:42 PM

wigglecraft, how lucky is that! that way you can eat as much as you want for lunch and feel you've lost weight!

in the mornings when it's tight, blame it on water retention.

#10 elephantrjm

elephantrjm

Super Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:16 PM

I used to live in Romania and knew some mamnegers of a clothing factory there. They said that everything is washed before being made and that includes "dry clean only"fabric. This is stop shrinkage aftr making.

#11 smokey

smokey

Dhabi Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2367 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:36 PM

aha, thanks elephantrjm, i live and learn.

#12 Pandatwins

Pandatwins

Presidential Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1937 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:42 PM

All the cotton and linen that I've purchased from Cairo Textiles (and its quite a lot) has never shrunk after washing!

How hot do you wash your clothes? 30 degrees is plenty for light every day soiling and 40 degrees is fine for medium soiling. There is no need to wash at a higher temperature.

#13 salma

salma

Super Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 01:22 PM

Thanks everyone for all the tips. They have shrunk about an inch from the length and are quite tight (can't zip up). I may have just bought cheap linen. I will try wearing them to see if they stretch and also the water, baby shampoo recipe. If that does not work, I will take them back to Santa for his help!!

Mapus, Santa is awesome and he works at Orchid Tailoring (02627-2115). His building (pink) is behind the Abu Dhabi Islamic Bank on Khalifa Street. Take the life to the mezzanine level and it is on the left.

#14 smokey

smokey

Dhabi Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2367 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 01:25 PM

LMAO! your description of how much they've shrunk is hilarious. i'm thinking they might be beyond redemption.

maybe you should think of passing them on to your kids / future kids.

Sign In