#1 magdapol

magdapol

Star Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 07:36 AM

Good morning ladies,
My nearly 2 year old toddler woke up yesterday afternoon and pointed out at his neck as being sore. Scratch-Head.gif At first I thought he was just joking, as he does that sometimes before he goes to sleep to delay the whole sleeping procedure biggrin.gif
But later in the afternoon, we observed that when he turns his head to the right side it seems to be stiff and less mobile Scratch-Head.gif This morning he woke up and again and it seems to be stiff on the right side. I am getting really teriffied and I hoping it's nothing serious like meningitis!!! But he is very active, eats normally no fever, and doesn't have any flu symptoms, so what else could it be???? The only other thing is that he has had a diarrohea for last 4 days, not severe one and it seems to be improving now.
Pls help ladies, as I am getting quite stressed about it Sob.gif Not sure if to take him to ER today for a check up or just wait for our visit with Dr Stiles tomorrow (as I booked it anyway). Does anyone know of any good Chiropratctor who looks after babies (in case we need it)?

#2 Julieanne

Julieanne

Dhabi Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2275 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:18 AM

My DS was the same many years ago.

It was caused by the ac blowing on his neck. He had physio everyday for a week and was fine.

Maybe your little one has the same prob - check to see if the ac is blowing on his neck whilst he is sleeping and taking to the drs to check if he needs physio.

I hope he get better soon. Stiff necks can be very painful.

#3 jacqui_binnie

jacqui_binnie

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:23 AM

a good check for meningitis is to get him to lie on his back and ask him to bite his knees. If he has meningitis, it is too painful to bring the knees up that far.

#4 magdapol

magdapol

Star Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:35 AM

We haven't actually been using much of AC recently, as our apartment seems to be quite cool anyway...
I put his chin down to his chest and he seemed ok. I read on some medical website that it's good way to test it as well. But I will try with his knees as well, just to make sure.
Would you know of any Peadiatrician that has appointments on Fridays in case it gets worse? I wouldn't really like to take him to any random doctors.

#5 izzya_77

izzya_77

Super Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 11:27 AM

My DS had a stiff neck just the other day. We couldn't figure out what caused it until we realised that he got up in the middle of the night, propped his pillow straight up against the backboard and then sleeps in that unnatural position...

It was fine after a couple of days...

#6 Lammas

Lammas

Dhabi Lama

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7457 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 11:30 AM

It could be a trapped nerve/muscle spasm. I get something similar where my neck locks and I cannot move it to one side without severe pain in the back of the neck/shoulder (I treat it with Diclofenac that was prescribed by my UK Dr) BUT "if in doubt check it out" is my motto, especially with young children.

Hope its nothing serious and your little one is OK soon.

Edited by Lammas, 03 April 2009 - 11:46 AM.

#7 lucy

lucy

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 11:34 AM

Exactly the same thing happened to my DS two days ago he is 16 though. He turned his head suddenly at school which set it off. His neck was quite swollen on the right side, very painful and he couldnt turn his head to the right. I took him to SKMC urgent care centre and they said he had Rhy neck which is a severe spasm of the muscles. They gave him some muscle relaxent tablets, pain killers and put him in a neck brace and said it would be gone in a couple of days, which it has. He is completely fine now.

#8 magdapol

magdapol

Star Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 02:04 PM

Thanks Ladies for all your posts. They made me feel much better smile.gif
My little one still seems fine overall apart from his neck. He plays and is being cheeky as usual. Maybe it is from a pillow, as for last couples of days he has been sleeping on a different one Scratch-Head.gif I just thought that babies are so flexible that they don't get trapped muscles or nerves etc. 021.gif

Sign In