29 replies to this topic

#1 annimae

annimae

Super Mentor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 07:26 PM

My DS is currently at school in Khalifa A, but we have a chance to transfer to Al-Muna school. The big pros for this move is that we live in the city. The drive to and from Khalifa A four times (dropping, going home, picking up, going home) a day is really tiring and time-consuming - 50 mins to one hour each way.
BUT
My DS really enjoys the school, the teachers are great and he has really improved there, and he has good friends he plays around with while he`s there. The school itself is great and the facilities excellent. My DS was previously at another school and basically just stagnated there. Part of the problem was that the class had a lot of Egyptian and Middle Eastern kids whose sense of discipline was ZERO, and whose english skills were very poor. Classes were chaotic at times.

Now I think that the new Al-Muna school demographic might include a majority of arabic children (judging by the recent open meeting) and I`m worried my DS will go back to stagnating. It may be a british curriculum and staff would probably be all british or from western countries, but I`m sure controlling the kids will be a problem, and my DS won`t get the attention he gets at his present school.
So, would you transfer or not? Would you put up with all the driving knowing your DS is being given the best chance to thrive at school, or risk going to the new school for more sleep time, more play time, and more quality time, but all the time wondering if the school will be as good as the present one?

Edited by annimae, 25 March 2009 - 07:40 PM.

#2 Abby

Abby

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 07:31 PM

annimae - is your son in raha international or yasmina?

#3 annimae

annimae

Super Mentor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 07:47 PM

Abby - I have pm`d you

#4 Goldie

Goldie

Super Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 07:53 PM

annimae, why not name the school? We all are here to share our experiences...

Anyway, I was at the pearl for open day and although the school said the priority will be given to locals, I saw very few locals at the open day. I may be wrong, they may not come for open day and will take admission straightway... but just observation.

I would personally not drive all the way to khalifa unless there is no choice... It is too tiring for kids and us.. but this is individual choice.

On the other hand, I would like to say, my daughter's class has lot of non-english speakers almost 50% from europe, and I didn't find it -ve. There are lot of locals in her school and they are all good.

#5 gcmum

gcmum

Super Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 07:53 PM

If he is happy and settled I would try to keep him where he is. Is there anyone you could carpool with to cut your time behind the wheel in half?

#6 Queenslander

Queenslander

Super Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 07:54 PM

I am in the same predicament & have decided not to transfer my children for all of those very positive reasons you have given regarding the school in KCA. I put the question to my children as well and they both told me they were happy where they were and did not want to start again at another school. I know they say kids are resilient (sp?) however I think I have put them through enough pulling them out of their school at home, I can't do it again here. I hate the travel with a passion & am hoping to move out to Khalifa A in the next 4-6 weeks.

Think of the relationships they have developed not only with other kids but also their teachers.

Good luck

#7 gcmum

gcmum

Super Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:02 PM

Also want to add that my 2 are at the Pearl, and we are moving to KCA in 6-9 months, but I am keeping them where they are. They have formed lots of good relationships, and are familiar with the routine and staff. I have someone I will be car pooling with though.

But at The Pearl there are alot of children from various countries and many local children. There does not seem to be any problem with behavior as it is just NOT tolerated by the staff. I think it has less to do with where the children are from, and more to do with school policy and dicipline.

#8 annimae

annimae

Super Mentor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:04 PM

gcmum - I agree. i think the bad experience at the first school has left a mark on me!

Spooner 5 - Good words

#9 busybee2

busybee2

Dhabi Lama

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9435 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:14 PM

QUOTE (annimae @ Mar 25 2009, 07:26 PM)
My DS is currently at school in Khalifa A, but we have a chance to transfer to Al-Muna school. The big pros for this move is that we live in the city. The drive to and from Khalifa A four times (dropping, going home, picking up, going home) a day is really tiring and time-consuming - 50 mins to one hour each way.
BUT
My DS really enjoys the school, the teachers are great and he has really improved there, and he has good friends he plays around with while he`s there. The school itself is great and the facilities excellent. My DS was previously at another school and basically just stagnated there. Part of the problem was that the class had a lot of Egyptian and Middle Eastern kids whose sense of discipline was ZERO, and whose english skills were very poor. Classes were chaotic at times.

Now I think that the new Al-Muna school demographic might include a majority of arabic children (judging by the recent open meeting) and I`m worried my DS will go back to stagnating. It may be a british curriculum and staff would probably be all british or from western countries, but I`m sure controlling the kids will be a problem, and my DS won`t get the attention he gets at his present school.
So, would you transfer or not? Would you put up with all the driving knowing your DS is being given the best chance to thrive at school, or risk going to the new school for more sleep time, more play time, and more quality time, but all the time wondering if the school will be as good as the present one?

without knowing which school you are talking about, if you are talking about yasmina to muna, yasmina was a new build whereby the new muna one will be limited in what it can offer in terms of space because its an existing school and so they can only adapt it to the british curr like they did for pearl. i have to do the reverse, kca to town and yes it can be a bind, but i could have moved my kids to yasmina this year, which would mean a 2 min drive if that but i dont want to move them to a new school whereby there is teething problems etc, as one of my kids wouldnt cope with the "move" etc. so i think only you can know what to do.

#10 busybee2

busybee2

Dhabi Lama

• Members
  • 9435 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:17 PM

QUOTE (gcmum @ Mar 25 2009, 08:02 PM)
Also want to add that my 2 are at the Pearl, and we are moving to KCA in 6-9 months, but I am keeping them where they are. They have formed lots of good relationships, and are familiar with the routine and staff. I have someone I will be car pooling with though.

But at The Pearl there are alot of children from various countries and many local children. There does not seem to be any problem with behavior as it is just NOT tolerated by the staff. I think it has less to do with where the children are from, and more to do with school policy and dicipline.

but if you leave them at pearl, if and when the new senior sch opens in 2010 (?) then you wouldnt need to drive out off the island because until that option opens up, once you reach the end of year 6 at pearl you will have no choice but to join yasmina.

#11 busybee2

busybee2

Dhabi Lama

• Members
  • 9435 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:18 PM

QUOTE (annimae @ Mar 25 2009, 07:26 PM)
BUT

whats to say that you may get kicked out of your house in town and have to move off island nearer to the school?

#12 annimae

annimae

Super Mentor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:20 PM

Regarding the local children, i think that they can be more disciplined, since they seem to be scared of their parents and the parents will act if they find that their child has misbehaved. From my experience, it is the other nationals from this part of the world that I have heard and seen to be uncontrolled. Not generalizing, but I would say it is a high percentage.

#13 busybee2

busybee2

Dhabi Lama

• Members
  • 9435 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:23 PM

QUOTE (annimae @ Mar 25 2009, 08:20 PM)
Regarding the local children, i think that they can be more disciplined, since they seem to be scared of their parents and the parents will act if they find that their child has misbehaved. From my experience, it is the other nationals from this part of the world that I have heard and seen to be uncontrolled. Not generalizing, but I would say it is a high percentage.

dont agree with that statement, my son who goes to bsak was the "warm up" band at the emirates palace for the classics concerts all last week, they were entertaining people before they went in and at the interval, well there were a few "local lads" who were wearing national dress who are also in the band, they were mucking around and were being told to behave as they were representing the school etc, but they were still pushing their luck whenever they could. and also have you seen the thread re the school bus and the bad language, i can guess that it wasnt a international school bus.

#14 michelleobibilhah

michelleobibilhah

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:27 PM

I to do the commute from KCA to GAA in the city and whilst the drive IS a pain in the icon_butt.gif the school has been brilliant for both my children and would not even think about moving them. If you have the right formula stick with it. i do understand the guilt though in terms of drive time but it is worse for me than the kids so that is ok. You are not alone in the drive

#15 teeej

teeej

Teeej

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4868 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:34 PM

QUOTE (busybee2 @ Mar 25 2009, 08:23 PM)
dont agree with that statement, my son who goes to bsak was the "warm up" band at the emirates palace for the classics concerts all last week, they were entertaining people before they went in and at the interval, well there were a few "local lads" who were wearing national dress who are also in the band, they were mucking around and were being told to behave as they were representing the school etc, but they were still pushing their luck whenever they could. and also have you seen the thread re the school bus and the bad language, i can guess that it wasnt a international school bus.

there are good and bad in both .....and i do agree national parents d seem to diaapline a lot harder .....

#16 annimae

annimae

Super Mentor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:36 PM

QUOTE (busybee2 @ Mar 25 2009, 08:18 PM)
whats to say that you may get kicked out of your house in town and have to move off island nearer to the school?

There is more chance of balagan being elected the next pope than my DH company being able to afford to give us a villa on the island biggrin.gif

#17 busybee2

busybee2

Dhabi Lama

• Members
  • 9435 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:36 PM

QUOTE (teeej @ Mar 25 2009, 08:34 PM)
there are good and bad in both .....and i do agree national parents d seem to diaapline a lot harder .....

if they are there and see it?

#18 busybee2

busybee2

Dhabi Lama

• Members
  • 9435 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:37 PM

QUOTE (annimae @ Mar 25 2009, 08:36 PM)
There is more chance of balagan being elected the next pope than my DH company being able to afford to give us a villa on the island biggrin.gif

hahahahaha you can live in "pope" (deliberate spelling mistake) biggrin.gif

#19 lampa

lampa

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:54 AM

I am also in the same boat:living in the city-school is in Al Raha. What about taking a school bus? Than you dont need to drive....But anyway use the time wise Clever.gif ...give him time tables to learn...or spelling, etc. he can do half of his homework done while he is in the car! and have more free time at home. I am trying this with my kids, not always successfully of course. On a bus they are not under my control 018.gif ...and they prefer to watch a movie...dont get it why they put movies!?

#20 fruitbat

fruitbat

X Mod-still helpful, but infrequent visitor !

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 08:58 AM

QUOTE (busybee2 @ Mar 25 2009, 07:18 PM)

my arent you the optimistic one !! biggrin.gif

Sign In