#1 jcfs

jcfs

Super Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:27 AM

http://www.northernm...-baby-carriers/

"I have had three children and was never advised of the dangers of carrying your baby outwards.  It took a diagnosis of hip dysplasia, a six hour operation including bone grafts, a blood transfusion, and twelve weeks in a half body cast for me to learn an incredibly hard lesson."

#2 foxytocin

foxytocin

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:46 PM

Brave mama for speaking about these carriers and sharing her experience.  I am lucky to have a friend who introduced me to fabric carriers when I was pg with my first.  On the down side, I became a wrap addict and bought loads more carriers than I ever needed.  

I see that since I initially read her post a lot of other people have chimed in.  In her defense, there is evidence from cultures that use papoose and back board carriers ( Inuit and Plains Indians)  and where babies are swaddled from birth, that these cultures have higher incidences of hip dysplasia.  So yes, I think that front facing carriers can worsen a pre existing condition or cause it to develop if there is a genetic predisposition for it especially if a carseat and other devices are not optimal for hip comfort.

Smug alert:   An orthopaedic consultant came out of his office after my daughter's appointment and saw me putting my newborn in a wrap and commented loudly in a roomful of people who were watching the spectacle of me wrapping my baby:  That is the best way to carry a baby.

Edited by foxytocin, 24 September 2013 - 02:56 PM.

• jcfs likes this

#3 AmyK

AmyK

Star Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:50 AM

When I was pregnant I stumbled on a great article about baby carriers that my cousin had posted on facebook. It was a great read, had medical support, and if I hadn't happened on the article I would have been clueless to the potential faults of forward facing carriers. Wish I could find it again to repost here. There definitely is a lack of education on these. Mamas need the opportunity to make educated decisions about them!

Sign In