23 replies to this topic

#1 susannah

susannah

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 06:51 PM

Hi, wonder if anyone can clarify whether an eye test is obligatory when applying for AD Driving license,? if so, where is the best place to go as some of the opticians don't appear to know.

#2 Gelfling

Gelfling

Super Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 07:08 PM

The eye test gets done at the driving license centre, 20 AED I think it was last month.

#3 busybee2

busybee2

Dhabi Lama

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9435 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 07:14 PM

you get it done at the traffic in MUROOR....!! 064.gif biggrin.gif as part of the driving licence process etc, 20 dhs and its easy (but remember to put on your glasses).

#4 susannah

susannah

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 07:32 PM

Thanks, that is really helpful, now can I be a real pain and ask which street it is on or some sort of landmark,I will be coming from Al Raha.

#5 busybee2

busybee2

Dhabi Lama

• Members
  • 9435 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 07:47 PM

remember me saying its in muroor!!! right come into town down airport road, traffic in muroor is between 27 and 25 (i did tell you last time wub.gif ) so go over traffic junction 27th st, and then at next road turn right, this is road 25, and then you will need to turn right into the compound, through a big concrete gate, go over speed bump, testing and registered cars in walled area to your left, keep going right to the end, dont go out of the gate, then turn left, you have 2 little gates to go through, go through the last one and then into the car park, if they dont let you in, just say oh i am a woman etc and they will let you in, if not you will have to park just outside there not far away, anyway big building there go upstairs and there you are.

if you are changing your uk licence to uae licence then you must go around the wall in the front with a desk in you will come across a little coffee shop and a desk in the middle of the room, go to the right to the ladies sort of q and get a ticket, then you will be directed to the room for the eye test, wait for your turn, the eye test consists of letters in a row, as you usually have and then a colour blindness thing like red blobs on the paper, pay him 20 dhs and he gives you a receipt, then you go back to ladies q for another number then you go to the back right hand side of building to wait in that queue and there you need to do your paperwork and voila.

#6 phoenix

phoenix

Maharishi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5158 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:24 PM

How many steps do you go up?

#7 busybee2

busybee2

Dhabi Lama

• Members
  • 9435 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:25 PM

now let me remember, there were 41 and a half Victory.gif

#8 phoenix

phoenix

Maharishi

• Members
  • 5158 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:26 PM

Susannah,

Don't worry about the eyesight test.They do everything possible to assist you-its an ordinary Smellings Test -nothing to tricky.
I didn't realize I had to take one-turned up with no glasses and no Guide Dog!- still managed to pass.

#9 busybee2

busybee2

Dhabi Lama

• Members
  • 9435 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:28 PM

yeh you keep going through the letters until he is satisfied that you are not blind, but per our converstion the other day, just put your glasses on..! not a big deal, and lucky for you phoenix the dog wouldnt be allowed in, and couldnt get up all those steps tongue.gif

#10 busybee2

busybee2

Dhabi Lama

• Members
  • 9435 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:30 PM

i suppose the dog wouldnt have seen the sign....

and this is one of the reasons that the driving is so bad (among all the rest of course) and the fact they cant see out of the reflective silver tinting on the front which is illegal for anyone to have on of course.

#11 phoenix

phoenix

Maharishi

• Members
  • 5158 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:31 PM

QUOTE (busybee2 @ Nov 1 2008, 08:28 PM)
yeh you keep going through the letters until he is satisfied that you are not blind, but per our converstion the other day, just put your glasses on..! not a big deal, and lucky for you phoenix the dog wouldnt be allowed in, and couldnt get up all those steps tongue.gif

He's a neat driver all the same..........

So hate it when he rolls down the window and lights up a fag when we're cruisin the hood though

#12 busybee2

busybee2

Dhabi Lama

• Members
  • 9435 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:34 PM

but the eye test is so much better than the one before with the big stick!

and dont laugh phoenix when we rent our little farmhouse in the shropshire countryside in the summer months its next to a field in which we saw the dog driving the truck, and the kids will tell you it was true, in fact the dog was sitting in the drivers side and the farmer was sitting in the back of the pick up throwing out food or something and the dog was driving...! no lie (well it must have been in cruise control) but the farmer was in the back (maybe thats where the term backseat driving has come from) biggrin.gif

#13 phoenix

phoenix

Maharishi

• Members
  • 5158 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:40 PM

I am sure half the goats and camels ye see in the back of the pick ups up and down the Al Ain road would do a better job than some of the clowns sat behind steering wheels.Some school run Mums (present company excepted) leave a lot to be desired too!

Eta omit monkeys in favourof clowns .Monkeys are highly intelligent and biddable.

Edited by phoenix, 01 November 2008 - 08:43 PM.

#14 busybee2

busybee2

Dhabi Lama

• Members
  • 9435 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:45 PM

oh totally agree with you, but not just the mums, was at rugby on thursday and went back to my car, was talking to a dad who has E same as our big ones (you know turtle thingy and you as mad hatter thingy), and then another in same as a and then a 2 year old, i know his car and said to him as i approach hope that wasnt his car parked up on the sandy kerb, because they were too lazy to park it properly, and so it was.... and the middle kiddy had a death wish as he then started to run behind me when i was about to reverse, lucky i have the beeping noise along with a nice round 'knobby' thing Grin-Nod.gif

#15 phoenix

phoenix

Maharishi

• Members
  • 5158 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:47 PM

Can you wait a mo 'til I get the Enigma out................. Scratch-Head.gif

#16 busybee2

busybee2

Dhabi Lama

• Members
  • 9435 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:48 PM

need to write this all down checkmark.gif

#17 busybee2

busybee2

Dhabi Lama

• Members
  • 9435 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:50 PM

am waiting......................

you know the one that was brilliant for end of year 6 concert FOR THE GIRLS of course smile.gif

#18 phoenix

phoenix

Maharishi

• Members
  • 5158 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:52 PM

Got who you are meaning now.

#19 phoenix

phoenix

Maharishi

• Members
  • 5158 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:55 PM

I'll say that that family aren't regular offenders and do a lot for the kids etc...

Sorry Susannah, we hijacking your eyesight test.

Why oh why do some women get here then the next minute they lose the ability to pack shopping, push trolleys or walk 200 yards to the school gate??????
That street should be pedestrianised from top -the mad St Jo's lot and the bottom our lazy arrogant lot.

#20 busybee2

busybee2

Dhabi Lama

• Members
  • 9435 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 09:08 PM

oh agree checkmark.gif especially with the st jo lot, comical sometimes.. best one last week, bus stops in the car park entrance nobody could get past, so both directions of traffic on road backed up, bus not moving, even when 'the owls started to join in' they have just built that nice car park for them to park in but no lets park right in the way icon_pray.gif

Sign In