11 replies to this topic

#1 Ciara

Ciara

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:26 PM

I have searched and gleaned a bit of info from previous threads but could someone please answer a question for me...

Our visas will all be cancelled on 14th December, mine, DH and two kids.
the kids and I are sponsored by DH.

my problem is that we are due to fly home for Christmas on the 11th Dec until 29th Dec, so effectively our visas will still be valid for 3 more days before we leave Abu Dhabi but invalid when we try and re enter the country on 29th December.

Will there be a problem with the 30 day grace period if we are out of the country when our visas expire?
Or can we just come back into the country on 29th Dec on a visit visa and buy ourselves 30 days from that point?

Perhaps it would just be easier to re book our flights from the day after our visas are cancelled, ie around the 15th?

And while on the subject does anyone know if you need your residence visa to be in order to take out a short term lease?

Any help at all would be appreciated, we are in a right muddle (slash panic!) over what to do.

#2 Florida Mermaid

Florida Mermaid

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:43 PM

Can you get it all taken care of before you leave? It is possible to renew before the expiration date. That might be easier than letting it expire.

#3 Ciara

Ciara

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:15 PM

Can you get it all taken care of before you leave? It is possible to renew before the expiration date. That might be easier than letting it expire.

not possible at moment unfortunately FM. DH job hunting in meantime, if successful, we will all be on new visas eventually........
Our current ones will be cancelled 14th Dec (rather than expire, sorry I should have been clearer)

#4 Florida Mermaid

Florida Mermaid

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:04 PM

Wish I could help, but I do understand your dilemma. I am not an all an expert on these things, but I would think that if your visas were all expired that you could return and obtain a 30-day visitor's visa. Not sure what the rules are. Hopefully someone who has been through the same situation will see your question and give good advice. Good luck--there is an answer and hopefully you will find it soon.
  • Ciara likes this

#5 Yvonne

Yvonne

Presidential Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1093 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:41 PM

Happened to my hubby 2 years ago, yes come back on a 30 day tourist visa, but as it's all of you you need to be sure he will have another job otherwise all of you will need to leave the country every 30 days. I stayed away till a job was sorted which luckily enough wasn't long. Can you keep coming and going for months on end if a job not available....what about school for your children? Also leasing anywhere you would need residence visa but you can rent on a weekly/monthy bases a hotel apartment, we did this while hubby was job hunting. I would say it would be best for your hubby to come back and you and the children wait till he has a job secured.
  • Ciara likes this

#6 Kazlou

Kazlou

Presidential Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1088 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:58 AM

Won't they need your passports ( with the visa in it) to cancel the visa? If you are leaving on the 11th it will need to be done before then. It's not an automatic process.

#7 Kazlou

Kazlou

Presidential Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1088 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:04 AM

Visas can be cancelled before the last working day, in the summer we cancelled 50+ visas so started the process 2-3weeks prior to the employees last day. You are then given 30 days to leave the country. As you are leaving on the 11th anyway, you could start the process now. Your dh will need to cancel yours and the children's before his can be started, this is a quick trip to immigration for him. If you leave before your visa is cancelled (as they need your passport) you could be classed as absconded, if the company is like that, meaning you could face issues when trying to get back in on the 29th.
  • lanarkwitch and Ciara like this

#8 lanarkwitch

lanarkwitch

Presidential Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1457 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:27 AM

Kazlou is dead right, they will need your passport to cancel the visa
  • Ciara likes this

#9 Ciara

Ciara

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:36 AM

Thanks folks appreciate it, that's what I was afraid of Kazlou and LW.

Yvonne the schooling of course is part of our dilemma but we will more than likely stay home after Xmas while DH comes back out.
Especially considering the likes of Staybridge Suites on Yas are looking for 1500 dhs a night for 2 bedrooms with kitchenette!!!

#10 lanarkwitch

lanarkwitch

Presidential Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1457 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:37 AM

Staybridge will def do a deal for long term rent, I have a friend who stays there for 6 weeks at a time and it was cheaper than renting a 1 bed in Dubai
  • Ciara likes this

#11 Yvonne

Yvonne

Presidential Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1093 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:41 AM

Most hotel apartments will do a good deal for long term, and you just pay monthly.
  • lanarkwitch and Ciara like this

#12 Ciara

Ciara

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:46 AM

great stuff, I will investigate that option further then when the time comes. Thanks again
  • lanarkwitch likes this

Sign In