Photo
- - - - -

Working Moms With Small Kids And Long Work Hours - When Do You Exercise?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Indigo

Indigo

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:51 PM

I have long work hours and have a baby at home. Even though I would not even think about doing anything but to spend the time with my toddler, it has become a health issue for me to start some kind of exercise. My morning starts around 5:30 am and I try to wrap up by 8:00 pm. I dont know when to fit in an exercise regime...Would love to know what other moms are doing?

#2 Pilgram

Pilgram

Maharishi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3398 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:58 PM

Well, for awhile, when baby was up at 5:30 am I went to the gym then for 45 minutes. This was easier during Ramadan since I only had to go to work for 6 hours, I find it really hard to get up at 5:30 am now, especially since J seems to want to sleep till about 6:30am.
So now, DH and I have bought bikes with a kids seat and we go for an hour's bike ride in the evening, and take J with us. He loves it. You can find relatively inexpensive bikes, however a kids seat will cost you around 350 AED to 800 AED, depending on the brand.
I also try and go for a half an hour walk around the block at lunch.

Edited by Pilgram, 30 September 2012 - 02:58 PM.

#3 Bubbly

Bubbly

Star Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:42 PM

Try and start at 5.30 am for a good 30 min everyday. Go running for 20 minutes with a 5 minute warm up and cool down or if you cant find the time everyday, alternate days.
Good luck .

#4 LMP

LMP

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:49 AM

Can you do it during your lunch break?

#5 Mrs Wolf

Mrs Wolf

Presidential Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1080 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:18 PM

Can you do Wii? They have some good fitness games and a personal trainer one that could be good.
I go to the compound gym after toddler is asleep and after feeding baby - so about 8ish usually, it's a grunt and really hard to do when exhausted, but otherwise would just be sitting on @rse watching telly.

Please always remember the dangers that treadmills pose to small kids for burns, if anyone has one at home.

Edited by Mrs Wolf, 02 October 2012 - 12:24 PM.

#6 Mrs Wolf

Mrs Wolf

Presidential Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1080 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:26 PM

Also I got a Fitbit - it's a high tech pedometer that tells you hoe many miles you've walked, stairs climbed, calories etc - it's a good motivator, to just get incidental exercise during the day - walk up steps, park a bit further away etc.

#7 Indi

Indi

Presidential Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1833 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:22 PM

I am doing circuit training at 7:30 pm next to the holiday Inn, also Park Rotana has those classes, I only do it 2 times per week, and I see quick results, although very intense work out.
  • Indigo likes this

#8 funmum

funmum

Super Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:04 AM

I would buy a treadmill and do 15 mins in morning and 15 mins at night for 3 of 5 days then 30 mins each weekend day.

Sign In