#1 Zaheeda

Zaheeda

ADW Guide

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:10 AM

Hi,
Does anyone know where I can buy cake decorating supplies in Abu Dhabi?

Thank you

Z
  • XRumerTest likes this

#2 Cake Boss

Cake Boss

Super Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:18 AM

There is a shop called Awani. It is in the same building that the Co-op is on the corner of Muroor rd (4th street) and 31st street.
They have EVERYTHING that you will need.
  • zman75 likes this

#3 mummydragon

mummydragon

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:30 AM

Lakeland in Mushriff Mall has some things as does Waitrose in Al Reem.

#4 Zaheeda

Zaheeda

ADW Guide

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:31 AM

Thank you cake boss, will try to find it, don't really know my way round yet. Muroor road is a very long road, remember going along there for visa office.

Z

#5 pebbles

pebbles

Presidential Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:11 PM

Thank you cake boss, will try to find it, don't really know my way round yet. Muroor road is a very long road, remember going along there for visa office.

Z

It's very near to the roundabout at Carrefour, ie at the very start of Muroor if you're coming from the KCA end it's on the right hand side.

#6 Mum80

Mum80

Presidential Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1869 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:55 PM

Does anyone know where I can find vanilla extract? I've nearly finished the bottle I had when moving here. Could I possibly replace it with a vanilla pod when baking?

#7 pebbles

pebbles

Presidential Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:27 PM

You can't get pure vanilla extract here as the flavour is extracted using alcohol. You can use vanilla pods but it's a very expensive product and doesn't mix that readily if you're baking.

You can make your own using 1 cup of spirit (vodka) to 2 vanilla pods split and added to the bottle or a clean sterilised jar. Keep agitating every few days and in a month you'll have glorious vanilla extract.

#8 Mum80

Mum80

Presidential Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1869 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:11 PM

Great idea, thanks. I have a few nice vanilla pods that KittyMom brought back from India.
How long can you store it? Otherwise I hoped they might stock it at the off license...

#9 pebbles

pebbles

Presidential Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:20 PM

It'll keep for ever ! I have never seen it at the liquor stores, but happy to be proved wrong if anyone else knows.
  • Mum80 likes this

#10 kbt@ad

kbt@ad

Presidential Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1391 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:25 PM

There is a shop called Awani. It is in the same building that the Co-op is on the corner of Muroor rd (4th street) and 31st street.
They have EVERYTHING that you will need.

do they have "hardware" or "software"? I'm desperately looking for some ingredients - like the right kind of chocolate etc.

#11 Zaheeda

Zaheeda

ADW Guide

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:08 PM

Found few bits in Lakeland Mushriff mall, but they do not have fondant. Will try Awani if I can find it.
Do you need to adjust recipes here. Trying to make a sponge cake, doesn't turn out light enough. My chocolate cake recipe works fine, just can't seem to get the vanilla sponge cake right. Does anyone have any good recipes?
Also is it ok to allow cake covered with fondant to dry overnight in an air conditioned room, or should it be in the fridge?

Thanks
Z

#12 pebbles

pebbles

Presidential Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:01 AM

Don't fridge it once you've covered it. You need to refrigerate for 30-60 mins after you've put your buttercream or ganache on so that this sets but not once you've covered it. I tend to leave my ac on at around 23-24 in the room I leave the cake in .

Awani is easy enough to find and so much cheaper than Lakeland !

#13 spinders

spinders

ADW Guide

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:36 PM

Hi mum80, they sell vanilla bean paste in Spinneys in Khalidiya, maybe this would work if you cannot find vanilla extract, sorry not sure how much it was but I'll be buying some when my supply runs out!! Happy baking

Sign In