http://www.telegraph...s-are-over.html

#2 gcmum

gcmum

Super Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:14 PM

Thanks for sharing.....was trying to stay awake for the BBC report last night without success!

#3 Britabroad

Britabroad

Super Mentor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:24 AM

I chose as much organic food as possible not because it may be healthier but because everything else will be loaded with pesticides and chemicals, more so out here than back home. Its hard enough trying to find meat that's not contaminated with tenderisers, growth hormones, water retaining and bulking chemicals etc.
  • noches, foxytocin and inesmariitta like this

#4 foxytocin

foxytocin

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:33 AM

Choosing organic (which many times also chimes in with fair trade) is also about choosing food raised with animal welfare in mind. As well as the welfare of the environment and the welfare of the producers.

I also take issue with heavily processed foods such as baby food being touted as organic. This is using the word organic to scam people who buy baby food. . Besides, any food which is cooked to within an inch of its life and had additives to extend its shelf life will be just processed food in the end.

To me cooking with basic ingredients is part and parcel of choosing organic. (not easy for everyone I admit, including me who has shop bought pizza on most Thursdays.)

Milk in the EU btw is produced under different laws than milk elsewhere. So organic and non-organic milk both are free of antibiotics and growth hormones in the EU but this may not be true in other countries. So the difference will come from the farming and husbandry practices of the farmers. That sort of stuff matter to some folks.
  • aurora and inesmariitta like this

#5 Indi

Indi

Presidential Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1858 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:45 AM

I chose as much organic food as possible not because it may be healthier but because everything else will be loaded with pesticides and chemicals, more so out here than back home. Its hard enough trying to find meat that's not contaminated with tenderisers, growth hormones, water retaining and bulking chemicals etc.

why do you say that here food is more loaded with pesticides and chemicals when it is mostly imported?, what do you based this on?

#6 aussietania

aussietania

Permanently Puzzled

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5761 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:29 AM

Are you saying Australian and New Zealand meat is 'contaminated'?

Big call.
  • bothwell likes this

#7 foxytocin

foxytocin

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:50 PM

Are you saying Australian and New Zealand meat is 'contaminated'?

Big call.

She did not say that so please don't extrapolate (or spin) from what she didn't say. that is unfair.

but if you'd like to see something extra in your beef...
http://safemeat.com....e.aspx?ID=44591

Edited by foxytocin, 06 September 2012 - 07:15 PM.

#8 foxytocin

foxytocin

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:15 PM

why do you say that here food is more loaded with pesticides and chemicals when it is mostly imported?, what do you based this on?

Meat (not labelled organic) from the US has a terrible reputation for the poor quality of life of the animals. What they are fed, how they are managed, slaughtered and processed. A book called Fast Food Nation may put you off meat or at least make you more circumspect about which meat you eat.

Edited by foxytocin, 06 September 2012 - 07:19 PM.

#9 aussietania

aussietania

Permanently Puzzled

• Members
  • 5761 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:40 PM

She did not say that so please don't extrapolate (or spin) from what she didn't say. that is unfair.

but if you'd like to see something extra in your beef...
http://safemeat.com....e.aspx?ID=44591

I thought when the OP said it was "hard enough to find meat that's not contaiminated with tenderisers, hormones" etc she was indeed calling out Australian and New Zealand meat because this meat is so widely available in the UAE and you'd have to go a long way to NOT find it on the shelves. Forgive me for making a logical conclusion - I know it upsets people sometimes.

As it happens I actually bothered to read the stuff at the link and I was surprised, I'll admit. Then I read even further and was more surprised at the comparisons they made between Australian beef's hormones and that of soybeans and cabbage. Very interesting stuff if you are into statistics and how they can be manipulated - as I am.

I don't think you have much to fear from Australian or New Zealand beef. Oh, and BTW - I'm actually quite short - so I guess all that growth hormone never transferred itself to me!

#10 foxytocin

foxytocin

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:16 PM

I take it too though that you can find meat from other countries too so taking offence from her statement looks like over sensitivity on your side.

Course numbers can be manipulated. In anything when someone feels there is something to gain from doing that. But saying that doesn't address the concerns other countries have about growth hormones which led them to ban its use in animals.

but hey with out growth hormones in the meat, you may have been even shorter <tongue in cheek>

#11 foxytocin

foxytocin

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:36 PM

PS Soy has been eaten in China and Japan for centuries but always fermented and in relatively small quantities. The very high levels of phytoestrogens in unfermented soy - the way it is consumed in Western diets - is a concern to people who study such things as is the volume of it that we eat. We eat lots of it hidden in other processed foods as a way of bulking it out. It is used because it is cheap, takes up flavours easily of whatever it is added to and is easily texturised into ''meaty' products. Even cheeses are bulked out with soy.

Edited by foxytocin, 06 September 2012 - 10:38 PM.

• jcfs likes this

#12 aussietania

aussietania

Permanently Puzzled

• Members
  • 5761 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:31 PM

So what of the wisdom that says that Chinese/Japanese women don't have the issues we do with menopause because of the soy they eat? If we are eating so much now why is menopause still an issue?

If it's true that we have so much soy bulking out our meat and cheese I guess it explains why the younger generations are so much taller! Add cabbage into the mix, as one might in Germany and Holland, and that explains even more.

As for my growth hormone intake - I'm as tall as my forbears - so I guess it means they must have been eating growth hormones too. Or cabbage......

#13 Poyen

Poyen

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:27 AM

Here's an article that disagrees with the former article.

http://news.consumer...a7UU9E.facebook

Sign In