13 replies to this topic

#1 freddo

freddo

Dhabi Guru

• Radio Show Crew
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2197 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:58 PM

I've just had a look at this after a friend mentioned it to get through passport control quicker on return to Abu Dhabi after my trip. It seems that the Emirates ID Card does the same job. Has anyone had experience of this?

#2 sierra

sierra

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:13 AM

We got our e-gate cards a couple of months ago and got a different card, there was no mention that the ID card could be used.

#3 chekigal

chekigal

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:38 AM

I heard it was linked with ID card initially, but when we inquired about it, it is yet, as sierra says, another card!! Your ID card is used to get it in order to prove identity!!!

#4 ADEW08

ADEW08

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:47 AM

Emirates ID card is 'supposed' to be do that but its basically "fitted for, but not with" so it won't work unfortunately. Better to get an E-gate if that's what you'd like.

#5 DuneBuggy

DuneBuggy

Star Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:55 AM

The ID card has the chip in it for e-gate, it just needs activation. I had my ID card "upgraded" for e-gating at the immigration office on 19th/Saada street, took about 3 minutes as your fingerprints etc are already in the system. And in other news, I found a use for my ID card! I needed a police clearance certificate for Australian visa purposes and the last time I had to go down to police HQ and get all inky with fingerprints, now my PRO just took my ID card, as it has my fingerprints, and was issued the clearance the next day. Admittedly not a fabulously useful purpose for my ID card, but it did work!
  • pumpkin and TheGoodeLife like this

#6 freddo

freddo

Dhabi Guru

• Radio Show Crew
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2197 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:51 AM

Thanks ladies, I'll see if I can get my ID card 'upgraded'!

#7 pebbles

pebbles

Presidential Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1304 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:33 AM

There's an office for egate at the airport, might be worth popping along there and see if they can do the upgrade.

Egate works like a dream - both here and Dubai

#8 freddo

freddo

Dhabi Guru

• Radio Show Crew
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2197 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:21 PM

There's an office for egate at the airport, might be worth popping along there and see if they can do the upgrade.

Egate works like a dream - both here and Dubai

Even better if I can get it done at the airport, it's just down the road! Will call in at the weekend, thanks.

#9 Lammas

Lammas

Dhabi Lama

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7948 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:42 PM

I've just had a look at this after a friend mentioned it to get through passport control quicker on return to Abu Dhabi after my trip. It seems that the Emirates ID Card does the same job. Has anyone had experience of this?

We added E gate to our ID cards at the beginning of this year and did it at the airport before we flew, very easy to do. Cannot recall the cost though. When the system works it is very efficient and does save time. Make sure that when you travel you have no traces of hand cream on you as the scanner to check finger prints does not work.

Edited by Lammas, 26 July 2012 - 01:43 PM.

#10 sierra

sierra

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:58 PM

we got our card at the airport a couple of months ago and were not given the option to have it added to our ID cards, it cost us 200AED each for an e-gate card

#11 arkley

arkley

Super Mentor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:06 AM

An update to E Gate on Emirates ID card, we just went to E Gate office Terminal 1 ADIA and they activated E Gate Aed 150 pp, was so quick and easy, impressed.....!!

#12 limitless

limitless

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:31 AM

I think they're both useless if you're traveling with children from or to AUH since there's no-one to stamp the children's passports near the E Gate (as opposed to Dubai where there is a dedicated counter for that) so you end up queuing with all the crowds to get your children's passports stamped.. what a waste of money and time.
I once had a mega fight with the guy who told me I have to queue with everyone else and told him it was mid-day robbery (the money paid for the E Gate cards) but totally useless.. actually when I remember how I was yelling at him I now feel lucky I was allowed in at all :)
Good luck anyhow :)

#13 Lammas

Lammas

Dhabi Lama

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7948 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:45 AM

We always get DS a fast track pass so that we can use E-gate and he can pass through quickly in a queue near us. Worked well so far and crew always happy to give us a pass on that basis.

#14 limitless

limitless

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:48 AM

How do you get the fast track pass? In the 2 times I traveled through Abu Dhabi I was told that I have to go queue and nobody mentioned a fast track.. I guess that's why I prefer Dubai all the time.. no hidden surprises!

Sign In