Photo
- - - - -

Do You Get More Ants Into The House Now? Too Hot Outside?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wikiki

wikiki

Super Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 12:24 PM

I am doing a daily cat and mouse game with the tiny little brown ants. It seems as it gets really hot outside, they want to come in for the cool AC. I hate to spray inside the house, so I try to follow them and find the little crack where they come in and plug it up. But recently it seems they are getting way smarter and always find another lilttle whole and come back all over again.

Is it the heat? Or is it time that I should give up and just let them spray the house?

#2 KittyMom

KittyMom

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:21 PM

Happens every summer at our place too. I don't use chemical pesticides as I have cats and kittens. I just let the ants be, they don't bite, they never get into our food if it's properly stored. Sometimes I see the ants carry off a few bits of cat food - and one of my cats will lie on the floor right in the middle of the ant-line ... they crawl over his tummy to get to the other side and he just sits watching them.

I think Lizzie the house gecko takes care of the ants in my bathroom but I haven't seen her for a week or so now ... think she met the ant-cat Jasper and is now in gecko heaven.

As long as the ants go about their daily business and don't bother the cats/us, we're fine with them. I just clean the cats' feeding area with some rubbing alcohol before I set their food bowls down. That keeps the ants away for a while. Then they can carry the crumbs off once the cats are done with their meal.

#3 Pilgram

Pilgram

Maharishi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3432 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:34 PM

I deal with this year round. Every time I pif paf a hole, they find another. I never minded much when it was just us and the cats (same reason as Kitty Mom, I didn't want to put poison down with the kitties) but with the baby I'm too worried he'll get bit. So I find out where they are coming from and spray some pesticide there....couple days later they usually find a new way in.

#4 Mum80

Mum80

Presidential Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1869 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:01 PM

I use the gel and it seems to help for quite a while. I try to apply it where they enter or exit, but it has also worked if I apply it on/near the food they've found. Usually a Cheerio or spilled juice, thanks to my 2 yo.

#5 DesertDream

DesertDream

Dhabi Lama

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7406 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:37 PM

It is hot so it is time for them to come out now, The big ants known as Samson is out too, these are three times as big, jet black, more visible and can sting pretty badly and the pain occurs every few seconds and stops until it goes away. Some people are highly allergic to these, so if anyone allergic to these should take extra care.

If you don't have kids or pet, use the Pif Paf powder, you insert a little of this in between door gaps ( hinge side), behind fridge, cabinets, in holes in tiles etc. They won't come again. I added a little to the Etisalat box area as loads were coming through the holes from the wiring there. Also check plants, they find that a great place to breed.

Try to wipe up any spills of sweet stuff like sugar or honey immediately otherwise you will have a long trail of them.

Furthermore, sieve all flour you buy as there are always bugs you can't see in flour, sieve the flour twice and leave in airtight container.

Edited by DesertDream, 25 June 2012 - 08:37 PM.

#6 GP_73

GP_73

Super Mentor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:00 PM

Hi! We also had this problem, ants were in the kitchen and the bathroom. We couldn't leave anything sweet outside, they would find it in no time. Once they even detected a candy in my bag and few of them travelled to work with me :) Spraying or covering the holes and cracks was solving the problem only for a moment, then they were discovering new ways in....
Two weeks ago we got Terro liquid ant baits from ACE. They are plastic containers with borax, small hole needs to be cut on the bottom so the ants can smell the liquid. We used only one bait and placed it next to the bathroom door on the floor. After day or two there was a big improvement. I spotted one ant only in the bathroom. Now I don't see them at all, including the kitchen.
P.S. It was easier for us as we don't have childern and pets, this product should be placed out of their reach.

#7 TheTeachersWife

TheTeachersWife

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:16 PM

I use lots of peppermint oil at the places the ants are coming in, I keep an eye on the areas and renew as necessary.

Sign In