13 replies to this topic

#1 EmOzbo

EmOzbo

Star Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:14 PM

So DD and I have just moved into a villa in Raha Gardens (3 weeks ago). We paid for pest control before we moved in.

The last week everytime I open one of our cupboards there have been 5-10 dead baby cockraoches. I'm assuming they're roaches. They really are small - about 5mm

Now it's giving me the eebie jeebies just thinking about it.

I'm worried that there's a nest somewhere - where are they all coming from?!?! I must have cleared up 50 from that cupboard now.

There have been the odd couple in other cupboards, but this one (that has the cereal in it) is rife!

Shall I get the pest control over again?

We've just moved from Dubai where we lived in a villa - and I've never seen this before!!

Please help!!

E x

#2 stone heart

stone heart

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:17 PM

Pest control people usually give one year warranty , you can call them again .
  • canuck and EmOzbo like this

#3 EmOzbo

EmOzbo

Star Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:18 PM

Yes - great idea. Doh can't believe I didn't think of that. Am making the call now!!! :)

#4 SkinnyLatte

SkinnyLatte

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:20 PM

If it's any consolation, same going on with me. Just tiny ones, no big ones to be seen anywhere. I can't bear to be in the kitchen anymore.

#5 EmOzbo

EmOzbo

Star Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:21 PM

So weird isn't it. It makes me feel all peculiar. I keep bleaching the cupboard !!!

#6 Lammas

Lammas

Dhabi Lama

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8070 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:47 PM

Throw out your cereal. We had a cockroach that came in via some kitchen foil! Opened the box that I had bought from the supermarket and there it was..........

I would call pest control control back to do another sweep

#7 corona

corona

Presidential Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1185 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:02 PM

You can also buy this gel syringe from the supermarket. Usually, after the pest control, they are putting this gel in the areas they suspect the roachers are breeding. I got one from Lulu Khalidiya. It's called "Good bye" and worth 28.5 dhs for 1 syringe. I heard that this gel will last for 6 months... will kill the roaches and prevent them from breeding.

How it works as explained in the box is the cockroach will take a bite of the gel then share with other cockroaches, then they will all die.
  • saffron likes this

#8 stone heart

stone heart

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:11 PM

Gel treatment didn't work for us twice by professionals then we use the spray one and now it's more then 2 years without cockroaches .

#9 canuck

canuck

Super Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:19 PM

I keep all food items in plastic containers. As soon as I bring food into the house I remove the packaging and pour items into containers and dispose of the packaging. This way if something I buy is infested the bugs are contained in one place and don't carry over to other food. The added benefit of this is that you are never surprised by an empty box when you go to make something :smile:

You can get some pretty good containers at the dollar stores (Daiso?) so you don't break the bank stocking up on containers. It is really a very effective way of bug controla and is very tidy in general.

As others have suggested, call your pest control company for a return visit. If you can stand it, save the dead bugs to show them the severity of the problem.
  • Mushrif Mum likes this

#10 IamMom

IamMom

Super Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:50 PM

I do the same. I never keep the package.

#11 corona

corona

Presidential Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1185 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:55 PM

Gel treatment didn't work for us twice by professionals then we use the spray one and now it's more then 2 years without cockroaches .

I have not used my gel yet... but gee... it's double the price of baygon and raid... and you say it is not effective.. :-( hope this good bye brand works for us.

#12 elephantrjm

elephantrjm

Super Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:56 PM

When i had pest control out, they came once then again two weeks later as standard.

It's the baby roaches that are of more cncern than big ones, as they are obviously breeding.

As others have said, i have found buying a can of spray and the gel and doing it myself to be more effective.

Good luck and welcome to Abu dhabi.

#13 DesertDream

DesertDream

Dhabi Lama

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7406 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:50 PM

Get rid of their food source and water supply. Stop dripping taps, move plants away, and put foods in containers. Disinfectant keeps them at bay, they don't like the smell. Don't use the drawers, leave them empty, put knives and forks in those tall, large plastic containers with screw on lids ( from Carrefour), that way saves washing and keeps them very clean. I keep my utensils for eating in a nice flat covered container on the dining table-for anyone to use anytime. I have separate ones for the kitchen though.

Cooking utensils I use to keep in drawers but now stand them in a stainless steel container (from Ikea) and cover with cling wrap at night- in this house, I don't have that problem but still keep stuff in containers, excepting the utensils which I can now hang on wall without worrying about any roaches.

#14 EmOzbo

EmOzbo

Star Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:11 AM

THANK YOU everyone!

Tonight after work I shall mostly be buying containers to keep all my food in and buying the gel too!

We've got pest control coming back as well

THANK YOU

Sign In