Photo
- - - - -

Aisa (American International School Of Abu Dhabi)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Bellevuebelle

Bellevuebelle

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:35 AM

We are considering offers from AISA for two of our children (FS1 & Gr 2) for the next academic year. We will move to Abu Dhabi just a couple of weeks before school starts. Can anyone, particularly AISA parents, give me some info on its pros & cons? Much appreciated : )

#2 stillhere

stillhere

Super Mentor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:34 PM

There is a thread in the Lounge section of this website - A School Question. I am afraid it is not positive about AIS. Also, have you tried the search engine at the top right of the site? Perhaps there are also some happy AIS parents out there??

#3 yazasha

yazasha

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:44 PM

AIS and AISA are different I think.
AIS abudhabi international school
AISA American international school in abudhabi

#4 nina

nina

Super Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:20 PM

Haven't heard good things about either of these schools I'm afraid. People seem v happy with Gems American Academy/ACS and the Canadian School off island for non UK curric.

#5 samantha09

samantha09

ADW Guide

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:59 PM

• This is my first post, so I'll keep it short! I've had my two kids at AISA for the past two years and have been very happy with it. The class teachers have been great.

• MaryKy likes this

#6 Bellevuebelle

Bellevuebelle

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:15 PM

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I have found it very confusing with a few similar abbreviations for different schools in use. We are looking forward to our move to Abu Dhabi even though the school question is not completely answered as of yet. I love the forums.......very helpful for a newbie! :)

#7 G&T

G&T

ADW Guide

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 02:36 PM

I took a look at AISA last summer when I was looking for a school and didn't like it at all. A lot of kids were speaking arabic during recess, they segragate boys and girls starting in Middle School. Not for me. My kids go to GEMS American Academy and love it! Great facilities, teachers and community. Check out their website. Plus, since they are fairly new, they have spots open in most grades. Good luck with it all... we've all been there!!
  • qjack likes this

#8 mysticmichelle

mysticmichelle

ADW Guide

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 05:44 PM

I don't know much about AISA but I have personal experience with AIS.

AIS is a Lebanese run school with unqualified teachers and the English teachers tend to be Lebanese with English as a third or second language. My kids used to go there as well as my friend's kids. We took them out of the school because even our kids could identify their poor grammar.

My friend had a problem with one of the teachers and when she complained the vice principal did nothing. Then she found out it was because the vice principal was married to this teacher. Her friend, someone i don't know personally was very involved in some parent committee and she became friends with some teachers who eventually let slip that even the vice principal's husband (obviously Lebanese) did not have a qualification either.

I think AIS gets more credit than it deserves because it has Abu Dhabi in it's name, even though it has nothing to do with Abu Dhabi besides being in Abu Dhabi like any other school.

i don't know what the school is like right now, but the less I know the better.

You can look into AISA, but stay away from AIS!

Goodluck.

#9 cookiesmummy

cookiesmummy

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:16 PM

Hi AIS and AISA are 2 totally different schools AIS -Abudhabi International school (lebanese curriculum and teachers)

AISA- the American International school of abudhabi (american and IB program) recognized internationally
i just enrolled my daughter in it shes in kg1 my husband attended the same school growing up here and he loved it! they are renovating now the elementary school gym it looks amazing! if my daughter is happy in it then i will keep her there

#10 bleumoon

bleumoon

ADW Guide

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:33 PM

AISA is so disappointing is true that in recess time almost all students speak arabic , they have a very cool way of teaching ,teachers are not enough motivated ... Since the early years the students watch tv ?? why they don' t choose another activity instead of tv ? I think is no normal or they ' re really lazy to teach ? . They have new director I hope things can really change in a positive way ! .

#11 Mom877

Mom877

ADW Guide

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:50 AM

I went to AISA from 1995 (the first year it opened) until 2000. My 2 brothers and 1 sister went to AISA. My youngest brother graduated two years ago from the IB program and he is currently doing Mechanical Engineering at the University of Toronto and doing great.

AISA has always been and still remains one of the best schools in Abu Dhabi. I truly enjoyed being a student there and the teachers were happy and it showed.

Yes children do speak Arabic in recess but they also speak in English. I know we used to speak both (albiet sometimes in cocktail :) but actually graduating as bilingual students gave us an edge over others.) The language we spoke just depended on the circle of friends we were hanging out with.

I now have a daughter going to Grade 1 and I was reluctant to put her in AISA (partly due to negative comments on forums.. thinking that maybe the school changed) but my brother who recently graduated kept pushing me to put her in AISA. He loved it there and spoke so highly of it (although it may be rare these days for kids to speak highly of their school).

I am happy to say that she is registered for Grade 1 next year and I am so excited that my daughter is going there.

Also, AISA IS NOT AIS. They are very different on multiple levels. In fact Abu Dhabi International (AIS) used to be one of the top schools in abu dhabi back in the days. However, since 2000, its level has dramatically fallen.. AISA however, in my opinion, still maintains its level.

There is no perfect school and more importantly what works for me might not work for others (for example, I think it is a bonus that the boys and girls are segregated in middle and high school because that is a volatile age and they can do without the distractions.. that being said its not like they are kept in a bubble or in the dark ages.. its just a different arrangement)

In the end, I wanted to share my comments and I hope this helps other parents who are searching..

Edited by Mom877, 22 April 2013 - 07:53 AM.

• Jennyr_au likes this

#12 bhatnaa1

bhatnaa1

ADW Guide

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:46 AM

Hi everyone,

This is my first post. I just finished applying to the AISA for my children who will be in KG1 and 3rd grade and will probably be waitlisted.  We are currently living in Al Ain but will relocate to AD this summer. Can anyone give me suggestions on where to look for housing that is reasonably close to AISA but not crazy expensive?  I will be working in MBZC but don't mind a bit of a commute as long as the kids don't have a long drive. 

We will find our housing based on where the kids enroll in school. Thanks.

Sign In