21 replies to this topic

#1 lovingmy40s

lovingmy40s

Presidential Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1659 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 05:44 PM

I am hot and heavy on the trail for a 4-bed in a large-ish compound somewhere not too far from Brighton College that has at least a bit of a garden - and one that is reasonable for my husband's commute which is towards Bani Yas. So far, my faves are Mangrove, Golf Gardens, and Al Qurm Gardens. SAS is a possibility too, although a bit off the beaten track for me.

Having said that.... someone told me today that there may be a rat problem in Mangrove?? Yikes?? :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: I can deal with ants, sort of with cockroaches (provided I see them once in a blue moon) -- but mice or RATS? No way! :sick:

Thoughts much appreciated....

#2 kiwigirl

kiwigirl

Super Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 05:56 PM

There are a lot of rat traps all around Mangrove Village. I have friends living there and they say they have never noticed any rats. Apparently there was an article recently in the National which mentioned a rat problem at Mangrove. I think there are probably rats all over Abu Dhabi due to the large rubbish skips all over the place - ready supply of food. I have heard there is a rat problem at the Club too but have never seen any myself - think you are only likely to notice them at night.

#3 tri-geek

tri-geek

The Big Cheese

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6908 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 06:38 PM

I've seen rats in most compounds and well ... since there is a garbage collection problem, they are pretty much everywhere.

#4 Storkie

Storkie

Presidential Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1410 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 07:27 PM

There are rats at Mangrove Village. They are mostly on the roofs and in the false ceilings. We don't see them, but we do hear them...eeeeek.

Having said that, wouldn't trade living here for anywhere else!

Are you in town? Feel free to pop in and I'll explain the situation. It's not as horrible as it sounds.

And like TG said, there are rats everywhere in Abu Dhabi.

#5 Jillybean

Jillybean

Dhabi Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2000 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 07:37 PM

Agree with Storkie and TG - there are rats all over Abu Dhabi. We're in Khalifa B, and I've seen rats reasonably frequently in the vicinity of the rubbish bins/skips. Never had one in the house - although we've had infestations of tiny desert mice at various times!

#6 DesertDream

DesertDream

Dhabi Lama

• Members
  • 7510 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 12:11 AM

I've seen rats in most compounds and well ... since there is a garbage collection problem, they are pretty much everywhere.

I agreePosted Image no matter where you move they will appear. They seem to find a way indoors when the weather is cooler and it rains.

#7 Fairymary

Fairymary

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:06 AM

I agreePosted Image no matter where you move they will appear. They seem to find a way indoors when the weather is cooler and it rains.

There are rats everywhere! Cockroaches are my bugbare.....

#8 DesertDream

DesertDream

Dhabi Lama

• Members
  • 7510 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 08:27 AM

There are rats everywhere! Cockroaches are my bugbare.....

Both are a real nuisance Posted Image This house we are in is less so than the last one but still we get mice when it rains. We have to block outside door ways with sticky mouse traps ( which work wonders when you put some cheese on it) as once a mouse gets in-it really is such a task catching it. So, far so good anyway. The plot of land behind us is storage for planks of wood and other building materials and my guess is that is the nesting ground!

Edited by DesertDream, 21 November 2011 - 11:07 AM.

#9 lovingmy40s

lovingmy40s

Presidential Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1659 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 08:31 AM

So...would it be reasonable to consider that if you try to find a place that's far enough from a collection of garbage bins, and perhaps a newer compound (e.g., Hills) there might be less of a problem? Back in the days when I thought I might be a pre-med, I worked as a lab assistant with mice and rats, and the numbers of bites I got from them just scared me off of them! That doesn't explain my cockroach phobia... :tongue:

Storkie, I will follow up with you! I have been to Mangrove, have several friends there, and loved the 4-bed we saw. Am trying desperately to get a price from Green Emirates, but they are not the greatest at calling back. I do want to undertand this "false ceiling" though. Never noticed it....

#10 nizze

nizze

ADW Guide

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 11:10 AM

I've been in Mangrove for more than 4 years and I have never seen a rat here. I have certainly not heard any rats on the roof, can't imagine what they would do there - they wouldn't find anything to eat on our roof. Since the garbage is collected daily and the bins are washed weekly this simply isn't a good place for rats. Two years ago I saw a tiny little mouse in our garden, but that was the only rodent so far. Let's hope it stays that way...

#11 DesertDream

DesertDream

Dhabi Lama

• Members
  • 7510 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 11:26 AM

Yep, steer clear of a collection of garbage skips. Mind you in MBZ area which is very clean and looks fine with garbage skips pretty far but still there were rats ( not mice) and these were big rats too. They kept getting into a store we had outside the house ( never had any inside though-thank God!), we knew rats had been in because rats have a strong bite and they had actually chew half of a plastic lid to get the contents inside. We then had to cover them with aluminum trays and place bricks on them.

We kept looking for them and wondering from where they were coming and how they were getting inside the store. I was completely shocked when my hubby and boys went in the store one evening as we heard some noises and it was a high pitch like sqeechy noise-and they are loud! We still didn't know it was a rat though. We went in and looked everywhere and hubby and boys kept banging everything to scare it out.

There in the corner of the roof was this really big rat ( we weren't looking up for it!), I mean big and its tail so long, it jumped from the corner to the opposite side of wall, before jumping towards us.. as soon as I saw it I screamed and ran!!

When I was a kid, we saw rats jump off a wall and actually jump on people's shoulders one jumped on my sister and another person the day before was actually bitten on the neck! So, knowing it was a rat, I told them to be careful and ran off!!

One time in the desert when some people we knew lived only in date palm fronds homes at the time years back and we visited them often, they always had to take care of their babies and children at night because the rats would actually nibble/eat their toes, not joke seriously and very sad indeed. My friend showed me! So, even today you have to be careful about that too but it far less likely they enter homes as much as mice do anyway.

Edited by DesertDream, 21 November 2011 - 11:27 AM.

#12 cinderella

cinderella

Star Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 11:56 AM

I live in mangrove and yes our block of villas with shared air con duct has had rats..we had to put our own traps up there and believe you me getting them down is a disgusting job..we have caught over 6 between us in a month!!The people opposite us have also had rats!!!I have seen a rat down by the boat yard too..it is a big problem here.they breed like crazy!!the company is supposed to be blocking ways in..we have yet to get on the roof and check if the holes have grids over them..

#13 lovingmy40s

lovingmy40s

Presidential Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1659 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 11:58 AM

Thanks, Nizze -- that is encouraging. Do you still like Mangrove? We saw a 4-bed we liked but it was such a disaster area and SMELLY that we wondered whether it was delivered in this condition? Have been trying to get in touch with Green Emirates for 3 days and no success!

DD, I've herd the same thing re rats and kids from my grandfather when I was growing up. His father was a farmer and they had 13 kids - and they had to watch for the rat nibbles. I've been bitten by both, and actually, mice bites are more painful! I think it's because they're smaller and figure they have more to lose so they go for it! The larger rats are actually the males and much lazier, so their bites don't always draw blood.

BOy the things one learns as a lab techie in college. Paid well, but never again!!

#14 lovingmy40s

lovingmy40s

Presidential Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1659 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 12:01 PM

I live in mangrove and yes our block of villas with shared air con duct has had rats..we had to put our own traps up there and believe you me getting them down is a disgusting job..we have caught over 6 between us in a month!!The people opposite us have also had rats!!!I have seen a rat down by the boat yard too..it is a big problem here.they breed like crazy!!the company is supposed to be blocking ways in..we have yet to get on the roof and check if the holes have grids over them..

Can I ask what block you live in?? I looked at 4030 -- and I believe 5099 or close by? 5029 is apparently empty too...

Boy, for this, I hope that they will be giving you fabulous discounts on your renewal!!

WHy isn't the management taking care of this problem?

#15 Pilgram

Pilgram

Maharishi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3530 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 12:16 PM

Get a cat or two, you'll never have to worry about rats....or birds, or cockroaches, or grasshoppers or dragonflies. :grin-nod:

#16 lovingmy40s

lovingmy40s

Presidential Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1659 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 12:18 PM

You know what...I'm allergic to cats but I've seriously considered it. our dog would love the company :grin-nod:

#17 Mrs Wolf

Mrs Wolf

Presidential Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1080 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 12:19 PM

Get a cat or two, you'll never have to worry about rats.... :grin-nod:

except for when they proudly deliver their headless catch to you on your pillow.... :sick:

Rats will be everywhere in a city with so much construction, it is inevitable.

#18 Pilgram

Pilgram

Maharishi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3530 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 12:22 PM

except for when they proudly deliver their headless catch to you on your pillow.... :sick:

Rats will be everywhere in a city with so much construction, it is inevitable.

I've never had mine do that. They bring it in and lay it on the floor by the door so I can see it as soon as I walk in the house. LOL.

#19 Mrs Wolf

Mrs Wolf

Presidential Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1080 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 12:23 PM

You know what...I'm allergic to cats but I've seriously considered it. our dog would love the company :grin-nod:

Cat gives dog massage.

http://jezebel.com/5...blowing-massage

#20 Ms Medieval

Ms Medieval

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:35 PM

There are rats all over the Abu Dhabi. Most of them live in the sewers & areas full of trees & bushes. In 20 years we've never seen a rat but when they started digging up the street & sewers in our area (Al Wahda) we started hearing footsteps & bumping in the ceiling! It was absolutely freaky.

Edited by Ms Medieval, 21 November 2011 - 03:36 PM.

Sign In