10 replies to this topic

#1 cookiesmummy

cookiesmummy

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:45 AM

hi all, im on holiday and got the flu im feeling a bit better been taking garlic tablets since i cant take any meds , my nose has been congested and i cant breath and because my chest hurts i have been using sea water spray for my nasal washouts but because the weather is so dry here in jordan and its freezing ive been using otrivin once in the morning and again at night i know im not supposed to use nasal spray while pregnant but theres no other solution any suggestions? nothings working :unsure:

#2 ionysis

ionysis

Maharishi

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3487 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:58 PM

Apparently "Considering its vasoconstrictive properties, as a precaution, Otrivin should be avoided during pregnancy." but personally I'm skeptical about this advice and think that 99 times out of 10 they only say it "to be on the safe side" not because of any proven problems or real cause for concern.

If you are really stuffed up, use Vapor-Rub or eucalyptus oil drops on a handkerchief (smelling it is fine just don't drink it!).

I was told by my doctor it is fine to take any tylenol products or sudafed.

#3 Pilgram

Pilgram

Maharishi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3418 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:02 PM

I was just prescribed Otrivin by my doctor when I had the flu. However I was told to only use it once a day for 5 days and no more.

#4 noches

noches

nochKP on Twitter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2567 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:13 PM

Get to a doctor. I didn't take anything for sinusitis for over a month weeks 33 -37. It had a direct impact on my pregnancy. My new doctor had been away, hence the gap between appointments and as soon as i saw her she put me on an antibiotic drip for 48 hours. She then strongly encouraged a c-section as i was also uncomfortable, the baby looked big and those four weeks of being ill had utterly ground me down. She used the phrase 'just look at you' when i was protesting that i should wait for a VBAC.

#5 cookiesmummy

cookiesmummy

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:40 PM

well i went to the doc and he said i can take panadol and vicks rub im also taking garlic tablets its just frustrating since i cant breathe its annoying i guess i will limit my use of otrivin i havent been using it for long just 2 days so far , just annoyed that i cant breath or eat all at the same time :tantrum:

#6 noches

noches

nochKP on Twitter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2567 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:07 PM

well i went to the doc and he said i can take panadol and vicks rub im also taking garlic tablets its just frustrating since i cant breathe its annoying i guess i will limit my use of otrivin i havent been using it for long just 2 days so far , just annoyed that i cant breath or eat all at the same time :tantrum:

See how you go but you can take antibiotics if it isn't a virus. Poor you, i remember it and was crap.

#7 cookiesmummy

cookiesmummy

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:26 AM

See how you go but you can take antibiotics if it isn't a virus. Poor you, i remember it and was crap.

Thanx noches, he didn't give me antibiotics although he should have, I'm drinking lots of fluids and fighting it off :blink:

#8 kbt@ad

kbt@ad

Presidential Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1373 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:51 PM

if you have difficulties breathing at night try baby/child otrivin instead of the normal one - if a baby can have it, it should be ok during pregnancy

to be on the safe side you can try saline spray like "physiomere baby" (not sure about exact name) it helps a lot

edit: name of the spray

Edited by kbt@ad, 18 November 2011 - 12:18 PM.

#9 cookiesmummy

cookiesmummy

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:08 PM

if you have difficulties breathing at night try baby/child otrivin instead of the normal one - if a baby can have it, it should be ok during pregnancy

to be on the safe side you can try saline spray like "rhinomere baby" (not sure about exact name) it helps a lot

Actually thanx for the tip I just checked the otrivine I have it's for kids it's called otrivine ninos which I guess is for kids in Spanish,and rubbing vics on my nose wow this is hectic as I can't breath or eat ...thanks slot :biggrin:

#10 kbt@ad

kbt@ad

Presidential Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1373 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:20 PM

Actually thanx for the tip I just checked the otrivine I have it's for kids it's called otrivine ninos which I guess is for kids in Spanish,and rubbing vics on my nose wow this is hectic as I can't breath or eat ...thanks slot :biggrin:

you mean wick's? not sure if i was allowed to take it when pregnant, better check

#11 cookiesmummy

cookiesmummy

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 12:06 PM

you mean wick's? not sure if i was allowed to take it when pregnant, better check

Vicks is ok while pregnant I checked imagine if it wasn't ......I'd die

Sign In