22 replies to this topic

#1 kerrydownes

kerrydownes

ADW Guide

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:17 AM

I'm looking to spruce up my garden and want to buy some outdoor plants and pots but they are so expensive. Does anybody know where to get some reasonably priced ones?

Thanks
K

#2 donnahbp

donnahbp

Super Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:20 AM

I'm looking to spruce up my garden and want to buy some outdoor plants and pots but they are so expensive. Does anybody know where to get some reasonably priced ones?

Thanks
K

Have you tried Mina port?
x

#3 ompie

ompie

Presidential Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1192 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:26 AM

Have you tried Mina port?
x

Depends where you live and how far you want to travel!
Dubai Garden Centre is FANTASTIC for everything both indoor and outdoor, like a British Garden Centre.
Meena (or Mina) Port is very reasonably priced and has great terrecotta pots
Alternatively there is a great place near Baniyas, and an even better place out towards Shahama, the directions I could give you.

I have researched for 2 months now, driven everywhere and could open an "advice shop" if I could make money on what I have learned about desert gardening, soil (or lack of) requirements, lack of nutrients in soil and how much fertilizer one has to put down! What Al Ain desert soil is compared to Abu Dhabi soil etc. etc.

If you want anymore advice on how to get to the places, ring me on 050 126 4280! Also use the search button on this website and type in variations of garden/landscape etc and lots will come up! Good luck. :biggrin:

#4 angiereed

angiereed

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:44 AM

I have researched for 2 months now, driven everywhere and could open an "advice shop" if I could make money on what I have learned about desert gardening, soil (or lack of) requirements, lack of nutrients in soil and how much fertilizer one has to put down! What Al Ain desert soil is compared to Abu Dhabi soil etc. etc.

If you want anymore advice on how to get to the places, ring me on 050 126 4280! Also use the search button on this website and type in variations of garden/landscape etc and lots will come up! Good luck. :biggrin:

ompie, have you done any container gardening? I feel I've spent the past year re-inventing the wheel figuring out how to container garden here. Not to hijack thread--maybe should be its own thread or discussion someplace.

I've bought all my plants at Mina, various vendors. Prices seem to vary a lot so it can be worth shopping around. Usual problems-- aphids of several colors, rust on fig trees, rootbound-- language and knowledge barriers (I sometimes don't know what I'm buying let alone how to care for it, so figuring out even what name to google can be a challenge). Extra problem of the moment is not all plants (even if species is ok for full sun) are hardened to the sun-- if they are under shade at the stall at Mina, they will roast in direct sun when I get them home. Less an issue in December I'm sure!

A gardening group that meets up in person could be lovely, wonder if it already exists?

#5 sierra

sierra

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:52 AM

There's a new garden centre advertised as "opening soon" at Khalifa Park, I haven't been in so don't know if it's open yet. The new farmers market, is going to be part of it,so if it's not already open, it should be open by 18th November

#6 ompie

ompie

Presidential Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1192 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:03 PM

ompie, have you done any container gardening? I feel I've spent the past year re-inventing the wheel figuring out how to container garden here. Not to hijack thread--maybe should be its own thread or discussion someplace.

I've bought all my plants at Mina, various vendors. Prices seem to vary a lot so it can be worth shopping around. Usual problems-- aphids of several colors, rust on fig trees, rootbound-- language and knowledge barriers (I sometimes don't know what I'm buying let alone how to care for it, so figuring out even what name to google can be a challenge). Extra problem of the moment is not all plants (even if species is ok for full sun) are hardened to the sun-- if they are under shade at the stall at Mina, they will roast in direct sun when I get them home. Less an issue in December I'm sure!

A gardening group that meets up in person could be lovely, wonder if it already exists?

What a great idea to start a gardening forum? There must be loads of people interested, as well as a Group to meet up and perhaps discuss gardening issues?!!! Anyone want to join? Like you I also have problems with language. Well I would go and speak a useless language like English wouldn't I?!!! Seriously, as you say, a real difference in price all over - and there really is no such thing as "Garden Centre". This is when we need B&Q or Wyevale. Wouldn't they make loads of money!!!!! ACE hardware is useless in Abu Dhabi. Perhaps better in Dubai?

#7 llc_15

llc_15

Super Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:07 PM

I just bought quite a few this morning at a place on the "backside" of Pink Shops, KCA. Its the only nursery there, name begins with E. I found it to be a lot cheaper than Mina. I got 6 outdoor plants, 2 small, 2 medium, 2 big for 150dhs. Anytime I've been to Mina even the small ones are 20/30.

#8 Amulet

Amulet

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 01:08 PM

I´m in for a gardening forum or group...still unpacking boxes so not yet at plant stage but have always had big productive gardens before and I am in withdrawal...we have patch of grass, a couple of date palms and some other as yet unidentified shrubs in our small strip of sand ...longing to get containers out there and maybe plant some more out...if they will survive....a whole new ball game here so it would be great to meet up to discuss what is possible or not here (brought a load of seeds with me..pumpkin, ornamental corn, herbs etc. but not sure if they would survive???)

Ilc.15, the plants you got at the pink shops, were they already in containers or did you have to buy containers, soil and repot??

Edited by Amulet, 18 October 2011 - 01:09 PM.

#9 Tiger_lily

Tiger_lily

Star Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 01:31 PM

Hi Everyone

I'm moving to AD in a month or so and love the idea of a gardening club. We currently live on a farm in Wales and grow most of our own food plants and sell trees and plants we've cultivated ourselves - it's really easy, so I'm always surprised at how my garden centres charge! We could have a seed and cutting exchange and swap ideas on good containers for growing - it doesn't have to be terracot pots - which must take a lot of watering in the summer. Also - I'm assuming gardens are too small for a compost heap/bin? We currently make all of our own compost - saving even more money.

I'm really going to miss the space and the greenery, but can't wait to get some sun!

#10 KrisS

KrisS

Dhabi Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2132 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 01:31 PM

I just bought quite a few this morning at a place on the "backside" of Pink Shops, KCA. Its the only nursery there, name begins with E. I found it to be a lot cheaper than Mina. I got 6 outdoor plants, 2 small, 2 medium, 2 big for 150dhs. Anytime I've been to Mina even the small ones are 20/30.

did you see any parsley plants in your travels? Ive tried growing it from seed but it fails, I need a plant.

#11 KrisS

KrisS

Dhabi Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2132 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 01:33 PM

Hi Everyone

I'm moving to AD in a month or so and love the idea of a gardening club. We currently live on a farm in Wales and grow most of our own food plants and sell trees and plants we've cultivated ourselves - it's really easy, so I'm always surprised at how my garden centres charge! We could have a seed and cutting exchange and swap ideas on good containers for growing - it doesn't have to be terracot pots - which must take a lot of watering in the summer. Also - I'm assuming gardens are too small for a compost heap/bin? We currently make all of our own compost - saving even more money.

I'm really going to miss the space and the greenery, but can't wait to get some sun!

vermin are a huge problem with compost here.

#12 Tiger_lily

Tiger_lily

Star Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 02:00 PM

Kris S - thanks for the tip, hadn't considered vermin would be a big problem in AD - we are plagues by mice, rats and squirrels on the farm, so used to 'eradicating' them. Will bear that in mind though

#13 jcfs

jcfs

Super Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 04:00 PM

What a great idea to start a gardening forum? There must be loads of people interested, as well as a Group to meet up and perhaps discuss gardening issues?!!! Anyone want to join? Like you I also have problems with language. Well I would go and speak a useless language like English wouldn't I?!!! Seriously, as you say, a real difference in price all over - and there really is no such thing as "Garden Centre". This is when we need B&Q or Wyevale. Wouldn't they make loads of money!!!!! ACE hardware is useless in Abu Dhabi. Perhaps better in Dubai?

i'd be interested! i bought the 2 books available on gardening in the UAE, which are great resources- in theory. then i go with my shopping/wish list to the shops at the port and they don't understand me, and don't have what i want...
for instance, i want some milkweed/ashuur- as featured recently in the gardening column in the national. the shops didn't have it. tried to tell me the picture i was showing them was jasmine! i e-mailed nick who does the gardening column to ask where to get milkweed and haven't heard back...
gardening in the desert has certainly been a learning experience. it's a shame there is such a disconnect between what is available in the shops and what is actually appropriate to plant here...
i'm looking forward to the new garden center opening, but if their prices are going to be like the dubai garden center i'll likely buy very little there. when hubby can come with me, i'm looking forward to exploring the shops in shahama.

#14 llc_15

llc_15

Super Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 04:37 PM

Amulet - the plants were in the black plastic pots as I had pots already and some will go in the ground. He did have a small selection of pots/planter boxes and I'm sure he'd do that for you. That's one advantage of going to Mina, there is a huge choice of Terracota pots and they will re=pot them for you. He also had soil, fertiliser, etc.

Kris S - no idea if he had parsley in pots. There wasn't a huge variety of plants mainly the ones we all seem to have!

#15 gymnast77

gymnast77

Super Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:41 PM

I second Shahama/ Bahia and Mina Port x

#16 Amulet

Amulet

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:20 PM

I second Shahama/ Bahia and Mina Port x

oh your dog makes me homesick for switzerland :(

#17 Amulet

Amulet

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:21 PM

Amulet - the plants were in the black plastic pots as I had pots already and some will go in the ground. He did have a small selection of pots/planter boxes and I'm sure he'd do that for you. That's one advantage of going to Mina, there is a huge choice of Terracota pots and they will re=pot them for you. He also had soil, fertiliser, etc.

Kris S - no idea if he had parsley in pots. There wasn't a huge variety of plants mainly the ones we all seem to have!

thank you, I think I will have to go on a few expeditions soon

#18 ompie

ompie

Presidential Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1192 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 07:24 AM

There's a new garden centre advertised as "opening soon" at Khalifa Park, I haven't been in so don't know if it's open yet. The new farmers market, is going to be part of it,so if it's not already open, it should be open by 18th November

that's great to know! thanks for that! I shall be there!
:nodding:

#19 ompie

ompie

Presidential Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1192 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 07:29 AM

Funny, I also went there at the "backside" of pink shops and bought 3 trays of 25 plants in each of Impetunias (buzy lizzies). Each try was AED25, which I thought was well cheap. The way to find this place is to go into the shops (where he sells indoor plants), wave your arm about and say something to the effect of "show me the villa where they sell plants" and point sort of in the direction of houses/villas . It is the road parallel to the back of the pink shops, go to the roundabout, turn left, drive two roads down, turn left on the second road, and it is I think 1st right. But the man in the shop will tell you. The nursery is part of a landscaping business and is in the gardens of the villa. Some trees, some cacti type plants, petunias as well in trays, and odds and ends, as well as a shed with loads and loads of very large good quality pots and other garden equipment.

#20 ompie

ompie

Presidential Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1192 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 07:33 AM

Im in for a gardening forum or group...still unpacking boxes so not yet at plant stage but have always had big productive gardens before and I am in withdrawal...we have patch of grass, a couple of date palms and some other as yet unidentified shrubs in our small strip of sand ...longing to get containers out there and maybe plant some more out...if they will survive....a whole new ball game here so it would be great to meet up to discuss what is possible or not here (brought a load of seeds with me..pumpkin, ornamental corn, herbs etc. but not sure if they would survive???)

Ilc.15, the plants you got at the pink shops, were they already in containers or did you have to buy containers, soil and repot??

I have printed off a superb leaflet of desert gardening from the website which offers all sorts of good information on herb/winter/vegetable gardening and what nutrients are required. I can send you the link if you e-mail me on clairejd@sky.com. If anyone is interested in starting a gardening club, please e-mail me on above. We can then discuss where/when/how often. Come on "Abu Dhabi Women's Garden Club"!!! :biggrin:

Sign In