#1 aisha00

aisha00

Super Mentor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 06:05 PM

Hello Everyone,

I'm moving to qatar, and I would really like to take my car with me. It's a Honda Accord(2007), so I was wondering how much would it approximately cost me?

Members who have exported their cars could probably help me out a little. Thanx.

#2 shalal

shalal

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 07:55 AM

I did it the other way last year (Doha to Abu Dhabi) over Ramadan and the Eid. I did most of the legwork myself and used Al Sahraa company based here and think it cost about 7000AED for their transport services (flat bed truck drove with my car atop) plus customs (which was over 4000aed, so more than half). Doesn't include the fees I paid on Doha end for export registration and insurance (not too much as I recall). Doing it myself was a big headache and at the time I wished I had just sold the car (2007 Lexus RX350) and bought a newer model of same type here. Now I'm over the ordeal, but the worst was trying to get a power of attorney letter here in AD to allow Al Sahraa to transport the vehicle. It took 3 trips to the judicial department to get the right letter in Arabic signed by two witnesses (ie Muslim men). Al Sahraa was pretty good at helping and communicating, but the info came in small bits. They didn't have a set procedure to inform me of all the requirements up front, it kind of dribbled out as events unfolded. My other option was to use the moving company that took our household goods but that estimate was more like 10-12,000 as I recall (they would have shipped it)

Suggest you investigate the used and new car market in Doha and see what your options might be. Check online with classifieds sites and newspapers Like here, there are always advertisements posted at supermarkets, compounds etc if you can wait until you get there.

#3 Pilgram

Pilgram

Maharishi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3547 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 08:49 AM

We're looking at bringing a car from Doha to Abu Dhabi as well, however we were planning on driving it ourselves. Do you have any idea about that? Also, where did you get the export registration and insurance?

#4 shalal

shalal

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 04:24 PM

We're looking at bringing a car from Doha to Abu Dhabi as well, however we were planning on driving it ourselves. Do you have any idea about that? Also, where did you get the export registration and insurance?

You can drive, just remember you go through Saudi so only a male can drive the car that stretch. I think you need to have some travel documentation for yourselves (visa, etc) so you should check those requirements. Think I've heard you need to prepare about a week ahead for this.

For the export registration and insurance you go to the nightmare of a government facility, the Traffic Department. I went with an Arabic-speaking PRO-type to help me navigate the different offices you have to visit otherwise I never could have done it. There are also little porta-cabins nearby with the insurance companies that sell you the temporary type insurance, which is only good for about a week or 10 days, but once you have it, it can be renewed for a small fee to extend. Once you get here to AD, you or your spouse will need your residents permit to register the car. The timing on this becomes tricky. I was probably driving my car illegally with the export license plate beyond the allowed time because the car was in my name, because car was in my name and hubby had to get his permit first then it took time for me to get mine. If you can leave the car in Doha with a friend and then come back at some time to retrieve when you have things in order here it's probably better. On the plus side, the AD traffic department is heaven compared to Doha. Newer facilities with civilized information desks, service counters, and inspection test garage.

If I could have driven the car myself through Saudi, I would have done this instead of using a transport company; it would have been a better alternative. Using the transport company meant I needed a power of attorney letter which was a cumbersome legal step. And of course the transport service cost about 3000dirhams/riyals. The majority of the cost will be the customs duty you pay coming into AD and as I said before, that was about 4000AED for a car that was valued at 70-80,000AED (so maybe a 5% tax?)

Good luck!

#5 shalal

shalal

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 04:26 PM

You can drive, just remember you go through Saudi so only a male can drive the car that stretch. I think you need to have some travel documentation for yourselves (visa, etc) so you should check those requirements. Think I've heard you need to prepare about a week ahead for this.

For the export registration and insurance you go to the nightmare of a government facility, the Traffic Department. I went with an Arabic-speaking PRO-type to help me navigate the different offices you have to visit otherwise I never could have done it. There are also little porta-cabins nearby with the insurance companies that sell you the temporary type insurance, which is only good for about a week or 10 days, but once you have it, it can be renewed for a small fee to extend. Once you get here to AD, you or your spouse will need your residents permit to register the car. The timing on this becomes tricky. I was probably driving my car illegally with the export license plate beyond the allowed time because the car was in my name, because car was in my name and hubby had to get his permit first then it took time for me to get mine. If you can leave the car in Doha with a friend and then come back at some time to retrieve when you have things in order here it's probably better. On the plus side, the AD traffic department is heaven compared to Doha. Newer facilities with civilized information desks, service counters, and inspection test garage.

If I could have driven the car myself through Saudi, I would have done this instead of using a transport company; it would have been a better alternative. Using the transport company meant I needed a power of attorney letter which was a cumbersome legal step. And of course the transport service cost about 3000dirhams/riyals. The majority of the cost will be the customs duty you pay coming into AD and as I said before, that was about 4000AED for a car that was valued at 70-80,000AED (so maybe a 5% tax?)

Good luck!

Just re-read your query after posting this reply, so perhaps you have already been in AD a while? That will simplify things on this end. Not sure if it means the car you would bring is in your name/ownership though. Think it might need to be for you to drive it as an export, otherwise you will need the power of attorney documents I think.

Sign In