10 replies to this topic

#1 Star

Star

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:44 AM

Ok Ladies, so I am about to email my HR about my maternity leave. But, a colleague has told me that she was only given 45 calendars days of maternity leave, not working days.

Can anyone tell me whether it's working days or calendar days? If it is supposd to be working days, how can I argue the point?

As per the Labour Laws that Ionysis posted, it states the following.

Thanks

ARTICLE (30)

A working woman is entitled to maternity leave with full pay for a period of forty five days including the time before and after delivery, provided that her continuous period of service with the employer should not be less than a year, but if a working woman has not completed the said period, the maternity leave shall be with half pay.

A working woman, on the expiry of the maternity leave, may discontinue work without pay for a maximum period of one hundred consecutive or intermittent days if such absence is due to illness which does not enable her to resume work. Such illness shall be evidenced by a medical certificate issued by a medical authority attested by the competent health authority or endorsed by such authorities to the effect that the illness resulted from pregnancy or delivery.

Leave provided for in the preceding two paragraphs shall not be computed as part of other leaves.

#2 Pilgram

Pilgram

Maharishi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3533 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:48 AM

I was told 45 days as well, I'm assuming it's working days, as I've been told that maternity leave is 2 months.

#3 LochNess

LochNess

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:48 AM

Yes, your friend is unfortunately right - it is calendar days - so about 6 weeks, woopee.

If your HR department is anything like the ones I have worked with, there will be no arguing the point.

Do you have a company specific employee manual? It may have extra info.

#4 Star

Star

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:55 AM

I had always assumed it was 45 working days, as annual leave entitlements are 30 working days!

Oh poo! I was working on the basis of having 9 weeks paid off, not 6 weeks!!!!!

#5 Pilgram

Pilgram

Maharishi

• Members
  • 3533 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:56 AM

That really sucks. Even with adding in my 30 days of annual leave that's only 75 days :( Booo.

#6 LochNess

LochNess

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:58 AM

Just part of the frustration of being a working parent here. Any consolation, you get an hour off each day for breast feeding in the 18 months after return to work.
Best of luck with pregnancy and birth.

#7 Pilgram

Pilgram

Maharishi

• Members
  • 3533 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 11:02 AM

Great. Now if only I could take my baby to work!

#8 Star

Star

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 11:32 AM

:biggrin: I recently joked with my boss about this when he asked me who will look after the baby when I return to work! :)

Just set up the cot next to my desk, right?

#9 ionysis

ionysis

Maharishi

• Sponsors
  • 3487 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 04:22 PM

Yeah, it's calendar days. Sorry guys.

I have know people whose company generously(!) gave it as working days instead but that was purely at their discretion.

I carried over some holiday from the previous year and tacked on a few weeks of this years leave as well to eek it out.

#10 Star

Star

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 04:27 PM

Yep, that's exactly what I am planning to do. Have spent today soughting it out and they definitely will be giving me calendar days.

My current annual leave and ML will take me up until Xmas. Then in the new year I will will be able to take more annual leave, and maybe a bit of unpaid leave.

Was all a bit of shock though, as I really thought it was working days...

#11 gymnast77

gymnast77

Super Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 01:15 AM

It is calendar days, I delivered 5 weeks prem and it had to begin from the day the baby was born (even if it is during a holiday period!). I then took 4 weeks unpaid leave taking me to Christmas holidays (I am a school teacher) so went back on 3rd Jan. Not long enough but better than what most get here! Good luck I hope it all goes well. XX

Sign In