#1 Ciara

Ciara

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 04:19 PM

Hi there,

Just back from Doha where we spent the weekend and stood at passport control in Doha for an hour with screaming 1 year old. Not keen on repeating the experience. Thankfully we sailed through at the Abu dhabi end as we came in the new terminal but have similarly gotten caught out in Abu dhabi old terminal before.

Have been vowing to look into e gate cards but when I called that 800555 number, you know the information no., the guy didn't know.

Does anyone have an any idea

1 how to obtain one
2 can you get them for kids
3 can they be now linked into the emirates I'd card?

Appreciate any help.
Thanks

#2 AeroBear

AeroBear

Star Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 04:35 PM

We did ours at AD Airport yesterday, really painless, there is a little office at the top of the stairs from the carpark, next to the little gift shop.....we went in with our passports paid 200 AED each and left with our e cards 5 minutes later. My husband had to have a no objection letter from his employer but nothing else.
Not sure what happens with kids or how it all ties up with Emirates ID cards though.

Hi there,

Just back from Doha where we spent the weekend and stood at passport control in Doha for an hour with screaming 1 year old. Not keen on repeating the experience. Thankfully we sailed through at the Abu dhabi end as we came in the new terminal but have similarly gotten caught out in Abu dhabi old terminal before.

Have been vowing to look into e gate cards but when I called that 800555 number, you know the information no., the guy didn't know.

Does anyone have an any idea

1 how to obtain one
2 can you get them for kids
3 can they be now linked into the emirates I'd card?

Appreciate any help.
Thanks

#3 Ciara

Ciara

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 05:18 PM

Thanks aerobear!

#4 KMT

KMT

Super Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 05:39 PM

Children cannot get them, so it's really no good if the whole family is travelling.

#5 JaneB

JaneB

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 05:56 PM

I've been meaning to get one for ages too. Brilliant will pop to airport tomorrow. Thanks!

#6 SabrinaP

SabrinaP

Super Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 05:59 PM

Ask an Emirati on Facebook says you can use your Emirates ID at the E Gate machines.

#7 Mac

Mac

Super Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 06:13 PM

Yes, but only when you have done as described above as they have to programme it at the airport office, it is very painless.

#8 Ciara

Ciara

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 06:45 PM

Sounds easy when you know how to go about it. Such a shame cards cannot be organised for children. Thanks for replies all.

#9 Alib

Alib

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 09:27 PM

If you have an Emirates ID, they can just put an add on to turn it to an e-gate card - or at least they did 2 years ago. We got ours done at the little office in the old terminal at the airport - new queue, no hassle.

Hope it's still the same - we're about to have to renew everything...

Alib

#10 hollydog

hollydog

ADW Guide

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:17 AM

scuse my ignorance, but what is an E gate card?? And the advantages of having one?

#11 llc_15

llc_15

Super Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 01:14 PM

I got an egate card about 3 years ago, getting it was reletively easy (on the short trip I did sans kids) and it has been USELESS since!!!

The next time I traveled with the kids (who don't have one), the passport guys seemed a bit confused as to what to do so they found someone to open a gate for me to put the kids through, they had to go by them selves while I had to then walk back to the egates and get myself through!

It was soooo crazy, I think they were 4 & 2 yrs,luckily they held hands as they didn't have a clue what was going on, I was shouting at them "its ok mummy will be there in a minute"!!!!

I never used it after that!! Luckily because my husband travels a lot on business we've not had to wait recently.

#12 KMT

KMT

Super Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 05:13 PM

scuse my ignorance, but what is an E gate card?? And the advantages of having one?

Lets you pass through an electronic barrier on entry/exit to UAE without having to stand in line to have passport physically checked by a real person. Significantly faster!!

#13 Ciara

Ciara

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:33 PM

Remember busy bee? I have a vague recollection of her saying before that you can get e gate for family, kids included, maybe I am clutching at straws but I might rock up to the airport with documentation for us and the kids and see what happens.... Can't hurt to try!

#14 baileyxx

baileyxx

Super Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 12:22 AM

Remember busy bee? I have a vague recollection of her saying before that you can get e gate for family, kids included, maybe I am clutching at straws but I might rock up to the airport with documentation for us and the kids and see what happens.... Can't hurt to try!

Please let us know how you go. Thanks.

#15 akazukinsz

akazukinsz

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:36 AM

i have an e-gate card. it's very useful. no more queues. i don't need to bring any extra documentation in order to get one. and it really save a lot of space in my passport.. kids can get them too as long as they have their emirates id.

#16 ehe1973

ehe1973

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 12:04 PM

I would like to get one as well but it's not worth it (for me) if it doesn't work for children. I can't imagine how kids could get one considering that they did not submit fingerprints to get their National ID. Doesn't the e-Gate reader compare the finger print to the one submitted during the ID card process? Or am I getting too Mission Impossible here?? How else would it verify that you were who you say you are and not using a stolen e-Gate card?

Edited to Add:
I am writing now as I am on hold with the 4th person and 3rd phone number I have called seeking an answer, lol! First called EIDA, they sent me to someone who has now sent me to Immigration. Immigration is now xferring me as well. One would think this would be a cut and dry question.

Finally! Khalas! A woman in the immigration office has said no for children under 17 as they have not submitted finger prints. Interesting tho, I thought 15 & 16 yr olds did have to submit finger prints. Huh. Well, if anyone finds out differently or is able to get a card for a child, please do let me know!! x

Edited by ehe1973, 28 June 2011 - 12:26 PM.

#17 baileyxx

baileyxx

Super Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 12:40 PM

I would like to get one as well but it's not worth it (for me) if it doesn't work for children. I can't imagine how kids could get one considering that they did not submit fingerprints to get their National ID. Doesn't the e-Gate reader compare the finger print to the one submitted during the ID card process? Or am I getting too Mission Impossible here?? How else would it verify that you were who you say you are and not using a stolen e-Gate card?

Edited to Add:
I am writing now as I am on hold with the 4th person and 3rd phone number I have called seeking an answer, lol! First called EIDA, they sent me to someone who has now sent me to Immigration. Immigration is now xferring me as well. One would think this would be a cut and dry question.

Finally! Khalas! A woman in the immigration office has said no for children under 17 as they have not submitted finger prints. Interesting tho, I thought 15 & 16 yr olds did have to submit finger prints. Huh. Well, if anyone finds out differently or is able to get a card for a child, please do let me know!! x

Good ground work there Ehe1973! :winksmile:

#18 Ciara

Ciara

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:45 PM

Yep, good work ehe1973! You have more patience than i have! If I have any luck when I get around to trying it out, I'll let you know. Might have to get my kids an emirates Id first though which I haven't done at all yet.... Sigh. And hubby just got done for a 3000dhs car impounding charge as he was caught doing 142 in an 80 zone by mobile radar near the airport, even though, get this, the traffic dept acknowledged that the 80 km speed sign should have been 100km (which would get dh out of the 3000dhs impounding charge). They changed the speed sign now to 100 a week later but say dh still has to cough up the charge as it was technically 80 the day he drove by it. In his defense, this particular speed reduction comes as you come off a highway where the maximum is 140. But pointing out to the police man that if he slammed on the brakes to get down to 80, he'd cause an accident, got a nod of agreement but not much else!

And then I ring the government clinic number today to book an appointment for my ds's mmr vaccination, only to be told, new rules since Sunday, you now need a copy of your tenancy agreement to get the vaccination for free! I told them forget it, I'd get it done in my home country. Aaaarg, sorry!, am hijacking my own thread. Rant over, am needing out of here for a break from the madness!

#19 susan76

susan76

Susan76

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 11:41 AM

No think you are wrong, I believe if you search back that kids are not allowed to have an egate card. The egate machine is right next door either to the GCC passport counter or in some airports there is an egate counter, so you can have two options. The adults with the egate go through the machine as normal, and the kids either go through the passport counter next to the egate machine, either at egate or if there isnt at the GCC one.

Sign In