#1 fizzycool

fizzycool

ADW Guide

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 03:31 PM

Hi All,
My housemaid resigned this morning because her family is having problems at home and she wants to be with them. It is understandable and I'm ok with it.
She's been with us for three years and I'm now checking what I need to do to cancel her contract in Abu Dhabi. However, I've just stumbled on some information that worries me - if her one-year contract (we renew it yearly) is broken before it ends, then I cannot sponsor another housemaid for 12 months. If this is the case, it would be a disaster for us - I'm a single mum with a young child and I work full-time. Has anybody experienced this before? Our housemaid's visa ends in October.
Also, does anybody know if end-of-service gratuity applies (ie, under the UAE Labour Law, employees must receive 21 days of their basic monthly salary for each year they have worked for a company if it is three years) - or does that only apply to companies?
I am eternally grateful for any advice you can offer!

#2 adoldtimer

adoldtimer

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 04:46 PM

Well, I have never heard of a case where you were not allowed to sponsor another maid if her contract is cancelled earlier, that would be new to me and I lived here for almost ten years. What does not happen is that you get your money back or whatever is left.
As for the end of service benefit: there are different contracts according to nationality apparently. For a maid from Sri Lanka you are only required to pay once her two year contract has been terminated and then you are obliged to buy her a ticket home as well. However, we pay ours the 21 days for each of the years she has completed with us. The questions is also, does she want a ticket back? Or does she want a release?

#3 tyrabangs

tyrabangs

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 04:59 PM

fizzycool, I think that's correct. If you cancel the sponsorship, you are not allowed to sponsor another maid until that year is over. Say the sponsorship is effective jan-dec, and you cancelled june. They you can only sponsor on january. That's what I read in UAE law unless they changed it. Sorry I cannot remember the source of that info.

#4 phoenix

phoenix

Maharishi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5158 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 05:03 PM

AFAIK, domestic staff do not enjoy the protection of UAE Labour Law so legally, you would be bound by the terms of the standard contract you employed her on. Morally, you'll do the right thing by her I'm sure particularly if she's given three years good service.
I would go to Immigration and discuss the compassionate reasons why the Contract has ended,most are considered on a case by case basis
plus you are not the one wishing to end the contract. I only know of one person banned from employing another housemaid susbsequent to a contract falling before the expected date.There was good reason for not allowing this person to sponsor another housekeeper.
hth

#5 tyrabangs

tyrabangs

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 05:06 PM

AFAIK, domestic staff do not enjoy the protection of UAE Labour Law so legally, you would be bound by the terms of the standard contract you employed her on. Morally, you'll do the right thing by her I'm sure particularly if she's given three years good service.
I would go to Immigration and discuss the compassionate reasons why the Contract has ended,most are considered on a case by case basis
plus you are not the one wishing to end the contract. I only know of one person banned from employing another housemaid susbsequent to a contract falling before the expected date.There was good reason for not allowing this person to sponsor another housekeeper.
hth

You're right, maids are not under Ministry of Labour but Ministry of Interior. Hence, they are not covered by labour laws -- gratuity and the likes. And I commend for that "morally..." statement. If we like the service of our employees, why not give them something extra esp during the time they needed it most. :-)
  • noches likes this

#6 noches

noches

nochKP on Twitter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2556 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 05:25 PM

If there is a rule about hiring another maid while there is outstanding time on this one's contract, perhaps hire a 'babysitter' to get around it. We have just hired another maid on top of the one we have. It was for several reasons, not just that i never want to be home or see my children! Anyway, we had to get permission but we did get it, and on the day we asked. Also one is now officially a babysitter and one a maid though they aren't defined as such in the home.
  • BellaHarb likes this

#7 dodgypoolhouse

dodgypoolhouse

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 10:15 PM

fizzycool, I think that's correct. If you cancel the sponsorship, you are not allowed to sponsor another maid until that year is over. Say the sponsorship is effective jan-dec, and you cancelled june. They you can only sponsor on january. That's what I read in UAE law unless they changed it. Sorry I cannot remember the source of that info.

We didn't have an issue when we were attempting to transfer visa for new maid in March! The visa for our old maid was cancelled in January when it should have run through to May!

#8 fizzycool

fizzycool

ADW Guide

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 12:11 PM

Thanks so much for your all your advice.

#9 tri-geek

tri-geek

The Big Cheese

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6683 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 12:46 PM

I would call the 800 555 number they are very helpful

#10 talka

talka

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:35 PM

Fizzycool - did you get any other information?

#11 talka

talka

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 06:00 AM

I would call the 800 555 number they are very helpful

You had better luck than I did Trigeek! Tried 800 555 and all I got was an operator's off the cuff thoughts on what the rules were. Anyone else have any luck?

#12 fizzycool

fizzycool

ADW Guide

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 09:23 AM

We cancelled our nanny's contract very easily. And it only cost Dh50 (I've read elsewhere that it has cost upwards of Dh500). This was to pay for the application form that the typist filled out for us in Arabic at the immigration department.
I'm about to start the process of sponsoring another nanny this week, so will keep you all updated. I've tried calling the 800 number to no avail and did have a "live" chat with somebody from the government's new advice website. All they could recommend was the 800 number. Go figure, especially as nobody answers it. Fingers crossed all goes well ... and thanks so much for your advice so far! F

#13 mec

mec

Super Mentor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:36 AM

We cancelled our nanny's contract very easily. And it only cost Dh50 (I've read elsewhere that it has cost upwards of Dh500). This was to pay for the application form that the typist filled out for us in Arabic at the immigration department.
I'm about to start the process of sponsoring another nanny this week, so will keep you all updated. I've tried calling the 800 number to no avail and did have a "live" chat with somebody from the government's new advice website. All they could recommend was the 800 number. Go figure, especially as nobody answers it. Fingers crossed all goes well ... and thanks so much for your advice so far! F

I called the immigration number and this is the best place for proper information or your company. I was told that i can cancelled and get a new maid once the previous maid is canx. I am also a woman sponsor and that is not a problem but you have to demonstrate your earnings.

Sign In