#1 Lulu08

Lulu08

Super Mentor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 10:50 AM

Hi there,

DH has a birthday coming up and I was thinking about buying some Arabic name cufflinks.

I think I saw them at a stall at the Souk Qaryat Al Beri a long time ago... Does anyone know if the stall is still there?

Or anywhere else in AD that I can order them?... And how long it takes to make them?

Thanks in advance :smile:

#2 Flash1982

Flash1982

Super Mentor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 10:58 AM

Yes, I believe that stall is still there. Next to Gallery One. I had a necklace made for my sister-in-laws birthday and I'm pretty sure I saw cufflinks there.

#3 Flash1982

Flash1982

Super Mentor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 10:59 AM

And I think the necklace took about 4 days to make.

#4 Mushrif Mum

Mushrif Mum

Super Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 11:07 AM

What a fantastic idea!

DH's birthday is this weekend so I'm too late for this year, but will definitely have some made for his next birthday.

#5 Lulu08

Lulu08

Super Mentor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 11:45 AM

Yes, I believe that stall is still there. Next to Gallery One. I had a necklace made for my sister-in-laws birthday and I'm pretty sure I saw cufflinks there.

Fantastic Flash1982, thank you for the information! Will try to go there tonight :)

#6 southerngirl

southerngirl

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 09:44 AM

Greetings ladies,

I would like to get a couple of items made too. Are the places your talking about at Shangri La? I am not familiar with either of the places mentioned in this thread. Your help will be much appreciated.

Thanks and regards

#7 kj

kj

The best is yet to come

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1212 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 10:18 AM

Greetings ladies,

I would like to get a couple of items made too. Are the places your talking about at Shangri La? I am not familiar with either of the places mentioned in this thread. Your help will be much appreciated.

Thanks and regards

They are at the souk between the shangri la and traders hotels. It is a kiosk type shop next to gallery one- which is an art shop.

#8 Lulu08

Lulu08

Super Mentor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 12:11 PM

FYI, went to Souk on Friday and ordered the cufflinks.

They quoted 300dh for silver and 1600dh for 18ct gold, with approx. 50% deposit required. Cufflinks ready in 4 days.

#9 fruity

fruity

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 01:32 PM

FYI, went to Souk on Friday and ordered the cufflinks.

They quoted 300dh for silver and 1600dh for 18ct gold, with approx. 50% deposit required. Cufflinks ready in 4 days.

Hi Lulu08, do you need to have the arabic name written out, or can you just show them the english name and they'll take care of the arabic translation?

#10 Shadow

Shadow

Presidential Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1144 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 03:38 PM

I would take it written in Arabic! Who knows what his name could turn out to be :-). I went and brought a beautiful necklace for a friend who was leaving, it was really pretty. The lady behind the counter said it was something written from the Koran but she told me to take it to the man in the newsagents there so he could transcribe it :-0 Brought it anyway as it was really pretty, who knows what she is walking around with in Oz now!

#11 pumpkin

pumpkin

madwife

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6261 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:18 AM

I love the fact they do cufflinks and necklaces in Arabic and the staff selling them have no idea what they say...classic Abu Dhabi Posted Image

#12 Lulu08

Lulu08

Super Mentor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 01:48 PM

Hi Fruity,

You don't have to take the name in Arabic.

You write down the English name and make sure that the shop assistant understands how to pronounce the name (as this is more important when doing the translation than the english spelling). Then they do the design for you, Cufflinks are done in a calligraphy style.

Yesterday they sent me an SMS of the sketch for the design and I had a local friend check it was spelt correctly (it was).

So far so good - will pick up tomorrow :)

Edited by Lulu08, 05 April 2011 - 01:51 PM.

#13 fruity

fruity

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 03:51 PM

Hi Fruity,

You don't have to take the name in Arabic.

You write down the English name and make sure that the shop assistant understands how to pronounce the name (as this is more important when doing the translation than the english spelling). Then they do the design for you, Cufflinks are done in a calligraphy style.

Yesterday they sent me an SMS of the sketch for the design and I had a local friend check it was spelt correctly (it was).

So far so good - will pick up tomorrow :)

Ahh... sounds great! Thanks for the reply :)

Sign In