22 replies to this topic

#1 hotdogs

hotdogs

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 12:38 PM

Any one spent christmas here before? do you know what htere is going on or what there is to do?

First xmas away from our families and our first together as a couple! don't knwo how to spend christmas day!

Any suggestions would be grately appreciated

#2 Lara Croft

Lara Croft

Desert Raider

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3274 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 03:33 PM

Most of the hotels will have special lunches and dinners for the Christmas so you could always go to one of those if you are staying in Abu Dhabi.

#3 tri-geek

tri-geek

The Big Cheese

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6725 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 04:18 PM

Any one spent christmas here before? do you know what htere is going on or what there is to do?

First xmas away from our families and our first together as a couple! don't knwo how to spend christmas day!

You are welcome to join us at the ADW Christmas Cocktail Party! :party:

#4 KCW

KCW

ADW Guide

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:47 AM

hi! We're facing the same thing - so I visited the Time Out website to see what they suggested and there were a few older posts from a few years ago but as Lara Croft says, most of the hotels seem to do a christmas do! either a 'proper' lunch - Turkey and trimmings or anything from a Sea Food buffet to Chinese, so there's plenty of choice. I guess it's just whatever you feel like doing. It will be novel for us to be warm on Christmas Day
Hope you find something you like and have a good day
see ya
k

#5 hotdogs

hotdogs

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 09:51 PM

thank you!

I'm tempted to go completly over board on crimbo decs and do xmas dinner in and watch loads of christmas films tucked up with some mulled wine!

hi! We're facing the same thing - so I visited the Time Out website to see what they suggested and there were a few older posts from a few years ago but as Lara Croft says, most of the hotels seem to do a christmas do! either a 'proper' lunch - Turkey and trimmings or anything from a Sea Food buffet to Chinese, so there's plenty of choice. I guess it's just whatever you feel like doing. It will be novel for us to be warm on Christmas Day
Hope you find something you like and have a good day
see ya
k

#6 rose

rose

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 11:00 PM

#7 rose

rose

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 11:06 PM

Hotdog,come on you alreay know what you want to do.....same as us..lazy morning.open few prezies,cook big turkey,play games , eat too much and prob drink little too much.And then fall asleep watchingn xmas film.Just love chilling at home.

#8 JaneB

JaneB

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 09:41 AM

I'm so excited about Christmas. My mum is coming out for 3 weeks! And in-laws for a week. Ordered my real Christmas tree and turkey already! Present opening in the morning, sherry and mince pies, full Christmas dinner and all the trimmings, BBCiplayer on for the Queens Speech hehe, fall asleep soon after that!! Can't wait!

Last year there were a few Christmas markets on (particularly in Dubai) and some Christmas carol concerts. Has anyone heard anything about anything like this, this year?

#9 hotdogs

hotdogs

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 02:41 PM

ha ha ha you lot are so funny!

I might do that where do I get my real xmas tree from? Oh My god i am so excited now a real crimbo tree! please tell me where to buy one! and my turkey!

Hotdog,come on you alreay know what you want to do.....same as us..lazy morning.open few prezies,cook big turkey,play games , eat too much and prob drink little too much.And then fall asleep watchingn xmas film.Just love chilling at home.

#10 salsimmo

salsimmo

ADW Guide

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 06:39 PM

Hi, I'm new to Abu Dhabi too. My husband has a short term contract there and, hopefully, I will be joining him for Christmas and New Year. Just wondered if someone can recommend a really good hotel for Christmas lunch and what happens on New Years Eve. Do people tend to dress up or is it quite casual? I'm a bit nervous and excited at the same time.

Thanks
Angie :biggrin:

#11 hotdogs

hotdogs

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 11:14 PM

Hi Angie!

Last year we went to see Rhianna at the Emirates palace for New Year, that was awesome. This year i Haven't heard so much, some of the ladies that have been here longer will be able to point you in the right direction i'm sure!

Hi, I'm new to Abu Dhabi too. My husband has a short term contract there and, hopefully, I will be joining him for Christmas and New Year. Just wondered if someone can recommend a really good hotel for Christmas lunch and what happens on New Years Eve. Do people tend to dress up or is it quite casual? I'm a bit nervous and excited at the same time.

Thanks
Angie :biggrin:

#12 JaneB

JaneB

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:58 AM

Hotdogs - I ordered my Christmas tree from The Dubai Garden Centre. I was picking up soil last weekend and noticed a sign for ordering trees. Haven't yet seen anywhere in AD that offers real trees. Maybe down at Mina Port where they have the plant market might do real trees. If coming from AD towards Dubai, DGC is just after Mall of the Emirates, so I think you have MOE exit, then Umm Suqeim Road exit and then immediately after that there is an exit for service road running parallel to SZ Road and you want to come off and immediately turn right and the DGC is right in front of you. It is a glass building with Dubai Garden Centre written in big letters across it. Fabulous place even to just potter around and they now have a cafe.

I also ordered my turkey from Dubai - Waitrose in Dubai Mall. I expect Spinneys in AD will also have ordering services but the Waitrose is pretty big and I thought they might be the most organised. We'll see!

#13 yorkie girl

yorkie girl

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 06:59 AM

Why do the traditional Christmas Dinner o fin the house ro at hotel?
Pack up your sliced turkey and trimmings, in a cool box with your picnic stuff and head out onto the corniche. Its different and it doesn't make u feel as homesick for your family because you are not doing the traditional around the table dinner.
we get crackers, hats xmas plates the works, play our xhristmas music and have a lovely time. We then pack up, go hoe and watch the xmas movies on dvd, with mulled wine and phone the folks.
Just a suggestion. This is what we have done for the first 3 years of living here, it was only last year by request of our son that we had 'traditional' xmas day dinner around the table..

Whatever you do, have a lovely time.
YG

#14 Lara Croft

Lara Croft

Desert Raider

• Members
  • 3274 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 07:19 AM

I know what I am not going to do, which is to invite many people and cook three different huge Christmas dinners over the space of three days. I did that last year and I think the park and a picnic sounds like an excellent idea this year!!!

#15 Contains Mild Peril

Contains Mild Peril

Super Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 08:17 AM

I know what I am not going to do, which is to invite many people and cook three different huge Christmas dinners over the space of three days.

You crazy lady! :winksmile:

This is our first year out here and we've got MIL coming to join us for Christmas and NY. I'm favouring a brunch-type affair at a hotel - does anyone know how much that might be likely to cost for four adults and two smallish children?

#16 Lara Croft

Lara Croft

Desert Raider

• Members
  • 3274 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 12:04 PM

Yes crazy but not crazy enough to do that again this year :excl:.

All hotels will publish their programs for Christmas and New Year but so far I haven´t seen anything - guessing attention will be given to this after the UAE National Day weekend next week and they usually give a few options from less expensive to more expensive and more exclusive only for adults and family oriented lunches with a visit by Santa.

#17 Horseluver77

Horseluver77

Presidential Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1551 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 10:17 AM

Okay - having spent MOST of our 13 1/2 years together at someone elses house or away in another state or country we have done the people over routine, cooked a huge dinner and invited people over to celebrate with us (mostly geographical bachelors who are happy to have a place to come and hang out and have a cooked meal since they can't be with their own families). We have also done the (boring for us) made dinner for just the two of us, opened pressies, watched movies, etc and we were bored by 3 in the afternoon....

SO this year we're having a party (I think that's the plan) and enjoying our friends again. we have geographical bachelors here again and they seem to enjoy the dinner and company and we even put on a football game or two.

The idea is to make it memorable for you. Sometimes it's easier to head out to a beautiful island and enjoy the peace and quiet. We torture our families with oru warm weather posts on FB.

We did spend ONE christmas on a trip to Austrailia - that was interesting, busy and we totally missed Christmas as we were flying that day. We returned on New Years eve in time to count down and hit the bed from 13 hours of jet lag!! I remember that trip well and it was a good christmas.

I guess my point is to make it memorable for you and enjoy yourself no matter what.
Posted Image

#18 mummy2dolly

mummy2dolly

Presidential Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1045 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 01:57 AM

On our first secondment in AD we checked into the Beach Rotana at lunchtime on Christmas Eve, enjoyed a couple of bottles of champagne, trotted round to the Captain's arms to meet friends, staggered back to the Beach Rotana, had dinner at The Rodeo Grill, sank a couple more cocktails in Trader Vics.................and then 9 months later welcomed dd1 to the family.............. :scratching:

#19 mathwi

mathwi

Super Mentor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 03:55 PM

For those of you that are after real christmas trees, I saw a sign in Abela's (Etihad Plaza) that they are taking orders now :smile:

#20 Milk Tart

Milk Tart

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:34 AM

Spinneys Khalidiya is also taking orders for real Christmas trees.

If anyone is interested in the easy option (like me :tongue: ), in addition to Abu Dhabi Golf Club's takeaway turkey option, I received the following details from the Shangri La and the Sheraton Corniche for their Christmas takeaway lunch (you have to pick it up yourself):

Shangri La

Order should be place least two days before Collection Date and subject to be confirmation

Roasted Butter Ball Turkey available in 3 Sizes

10-11 Kg – Serves approximately 10 to 15 persons Price per Bird 800.00 Dhs

With 500g of Brussels sprouts, 500g of Roasted Potatoes, 500g of Glazed Carrots, 500g Roasted Pumpkin, 250g Chestnut Stuffing (N), Cranberry Jelly & 1 Litre of Turkey Gravy

8-9 kg – Serves approximately 6 to 10 persons Price per Bird 700.00 Dhs

With 400g of Brussels sprouts, 400g of Roasted Potatoes, 400g of Glazed Carrots, 400g Roasted Pumpkin, 250g Chestnut Stuffing (N), Cranberry Jelly & 750ML of Turkey Gravy

6-8 Kg – Serves Approximately 2 to 6 persons Price per Bird 600.00 Dhs

With 300g of Brussels sprouts, 300g of Roasted Potatoes, 300g of Glazed Carrots, 300g Roasted Pumpkin, 250g Chestnut Stuffing (N), Cranberry Jelly & 500ML of Turkey Gravy

Additional Vegetables & Sauces

Brussel Sprouts - per 500g 42.00 Dhs

Roasted Potatoes – per 500g 42.00 Dhs

Glazed Carrots – per 500g 42.00 Dhs

Roasted Pumpkin – per 500g 42.00 Dhs

Roasted Parsnips – per 500g 42.00 Dhs

Chestnut Stuffing (N) – per 250g 42.00 Dhs

Turkey Gravy – per 500ml 60.00 Dhs

Red Wine Jus (A) – per 500ml 80.00 Dhs

Other

NZ Lamb Rack (French Trimmed), Serves approximately 2 persons Price per Rack 175.00

US Rib Eye of Beef, Chilled Rib Eye of Beef Price per KG 360.00

Please state how you require the Beef Rib Eye or Rack of Lamb Cooked - Medium is recommended

Smoked Salmon (Sliced)

Sliced Scottish Smoked Salmon Per Half Side 255.00 Dhs

Christmas Cake - 1 kg

Traditional Christmas Fruit Cake Per Cake 175.00

Christmas Pudding - 650 Grams Per Pudding 100.00 Dhs

With Brandy sauce (A)

Traditional Mince Pies Per dozen (12) 120.00 Dhs

All Prices are in UAE dirham’s and are subject to 10% service charge and 6 % tourism fee

Sheraton Corniche

Turkey price for 4-5 kgs (6 to 8 person) – AED 750

Turkey price for 7-8 kgs (10 to 12 person) – AED 950

Order includes: 1 Turkey + 2 Veggies + 1 Potato + stuffing + cranberry sauce and gravy

a) Selection of Veggies

Green beans, roasted glazed chestnuts, brussel sprouts, honey roasted pumpkin or assorted seasonal vegetables

b) Selection of Potatoes

Mashed potatoes or potato gratin (oven baked sliced potato with cream and topped with cheese)

c) Selection of Stuffings

Herbs, sage and chestnut stuffing or Saucisse veal stuffing (“saucisse” – French for small sausage)

Please note that order must be 48 hours in advance and must be pre-paid

Sign In