13 replies to this topic

#1 MomOf2

MomOf2

Presidential Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1488 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 07:51 PM

How much food allowance per month (on top of regular salary) do you give to a maid who has her own private cooking facilities and prefers to keep her groceries and cooking separate from the general household?

#2 DesertDream

DesertDream

Dhabi Lama

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7585 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 10:57 AM

How much food allowance per month (on top of regular salary) do you give to a maid who has her own private cooking facilities and prefers to keep her groceries and cooking separate from the general household?

I think most maids generally make what they want or share the same meals as families in most houses. Mine use to make some Filipino dishes at times too which don't have as much spice or whatever ( if they didn't want spice ), she would just make her own servings of what she wanted in a couple of small pans, and sometimes double it as I love some types of their food too :biggrin:

#3 MomOf2

MomOf2

Presidential Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1488 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 11:53 AM

My last maid ate the same food as my family. The new maid who is arriving soon prefers to cook her own food. What I am wondering is what amount of money is reasonable for her food allowance, since she will buy her own groceries.

#4 Abudhabimummy

Abudhabimummy

Super Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 12:08 PM

My maid eats some of our food, and eats some of her own. She just writes on the grocery list what she wants (usually rice and a few other things), and then next time I go shopping I pick them up for her. So, I dont give her any extra money for food, I just buy the few things she needs, and then she eats whatever we are eating. Sorry can't be more help.

#5 phoenix

phoenix

Maharishi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5158 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 12:12 PM

My maid eats some of our food, and eats some of her own. She just writes on the grocery list what she wants (usually rice and a few other things), and then next time I go shopping I pick them up for her. So, I dont give her any extra money for food, I just buy the few things she needs, and then she eats whatever we are eating. Sorry can't be more help.

Same here,

J just writes a list of what she needs,food,toiletries or anything really and I get it when shopping.
Sometimes she'll come with me and puts what she wants in the trolley.
One thing it has taught me: I eat far too much and serve far too big portions!!.

#6 Moka

Moka

CEO

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2589 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 12:12 PM

Mine eats most of what we eat but she also likes to cook for herself sometimes (meals from her country) so I give her 50dhs/week and if she needs more she always asks.

#7 Lara Croft

Lara Croft

Desert Raider

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3274 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 01:33 PM

The first maid I had here lived a bit far so she asked for a taxi allowance which I agreed to. Next month, funnily, I discovered that she had moved to a room very close to our building so didn't need to take taxis anymore. I found this quite annoying as I didn't have the heart to cancel the allowance. Since that time I prefer not to give any allowances but just a salary that should cover everything and that's it.

#8 kj

kj

The best is yet to come

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1212 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 12:28 PM

We were giving our maid 100dhs a week for all food and toiletries, but have stopped that and now buy whatever she wants/needs. We stopped it as she was hardly eating anything in an attempt to send even more money home. We want her to be happy and healthy not starving.

#9 katear

katear

Super Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 01:45 PM

Mine prefers to do all her own cooking in her room, she has a rice cooker, microwave etc and knows she can use our kitchen also whenever she wants. I check with her weekly what she needs and get it when I go shopping, but also I get her some things that I know she likes but wouldn't ask for, tube of pringles, couple of doughnuts, stuff like that.

#10 casmi24

casmi24

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 01:53 PM

Our maid specifically asked for a food allowance but that is because her husband lives in same compound and they like to eat together. We give her 500 AED a month but told her that she needs to use for food and not send home. It has worked fine so far.

#11 NooRa.81

NooRa.81

Super Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 10:58 PM

My maid gets 300 dhs extra a month to spend on her own food. She cooks and eats from our family food as well, but for anything extra, like phillipino fruits and veggies, coffee, chocolates, etc,she buys with her 300 dhs. I buy all toiletries for her, once a month i buy a big bag of rice for her also. But things like onions,tomatoes,oil, salt, etc, i buy in bulk for everyone to use. I would say that if she wants to buy everything on her own then 500-600/month is a good amount for her.

#12 offie

offie

Super Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 12:15 AM

i am like must my maid just has to putt what she wnats on the list and i will get it for her,

she eats what she likes but does not eat much, but whatever she needs she just has to ask,

so for if this was me then i would get her to do a list or take her shopping and get the requirements,

then this way you know it is going on the food and not home,

#13 momof3

momof3

Presidential Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1892 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 07:19 AM

Have a friend whose food was constantly dissapearing in large quantities from the house. Her maid was not given a food allowance but was able to eat and ask for what she wanted. Friend found out her maid was giving out food to other maids in the neighborhood who had food "allowances" but chose to send the money home instead and then beg food off all the neighbors. Maid has now lost her job.

#14 babybutterfly

babybutterfly

Super Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 08:02 AM

In the beginning my maid liked to cook her own food. Now she eats everything i cook and hardly ever cooks, says she likes my cooking ....(still in shock about that one! :biggrin: ) but the options there for her to do her own meals with whatever she prefers and she can add what she wants to the grocery list and i pick it up for her. The only thing she would forget to do is add meats to the grocery list when she used them up, so all i ask is for her is to try to remember to add it to the shopping list so whenever i get around to cooking theres a supply there and i dont have to ransack my brains for an idea for a half decent meal at the last minute :)

Sign In