8 replies to this topic

#1 Camrock

Camrock

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 02:13 PM

I am in the process of arranging a surprise 40th Birthday get-together for my DHs friends and work colleagues in Abu Dhabi late September.

I have to cater for Emiratis, Locals, Brits, Kiwis etc. As a result I am coming up a bit short venue wise! Your traditional hotel buffets are just too expensive in most cases or a bit bland, I have saved but my non-working pockets are just not deep enough to foot the cost of these (well it seems unfair to give the birthday boy the bill at the end of the night). Has anyone used a good, may I dare ask value for money venue?

Venue aside, home is an option. Does anyone know of companies that cater for home held functions? I'd need to hire outside furniture, maybe a misting system just in case it is still too hot, and possibly help with food.

I am looking to cater for approx 30-50 people. Does anyone have any ideas… please! Thanks in advance! :biggrin:

Edited by Camrock, 01 September 2010 - 02:32 PM.

#2 DesertDream

DesertDream

Dhabi Lama

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7480 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 03:46 PM

I am in the process of arranging a surprise 40th Birthday get-together for my DHs friends and work colleagues in Abu Dhabi late September.

I have to cater for Emiratis, Locals, Brits, Kiwis etc. As a result I am coming up a bit short venue wise! Your traditional hotel buffets are just too expensive in most cases or a bit bland, I have saved but my non-working pockets are just not deep enough to foot the cost of these (well it seems unfair to give the birthday boy the bill at the end of the night). Has anyone used a good, may I dare ask value for money venue?

Venue aside, home is an option. Does anyone know of companies that cater for home held functions? I'd need to hire outside furniture, maybe a misting system just in case it is still too hot, and possibly help with food.

I am looking to cater for approx 30-50 people. Does anyone have any ideas… please! Thanks in advance! :biggrin:

Try the local wedding Halls, they are large and sometimes they arrange large dinner parties too. Another good place is the Officers club, call them and see what they can arrange.

#3 Camrock

Camrock

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 12:24 PM

Many thanks DesertDream :biggrin:

I had not thought of the Officers Club, will give them a call!

#4 nickfish

nickfish

Presidential Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1211 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 05:17 PM

You could try The Club, they seem to be very reasonable. I went to a party recently and they did all the catering, only canapes and shwarmas but I am sure they could provide a small menu or the tables and chairs you need. They were only there 3 hours but did a fab job and were not expensive from what I heard.

#5 elephantrjm

elephantrjm

Super Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 07:32 PM

This is the link to the Club's party food info.

http://www.the-club.com/

I have really enjoyed parties on the club beach. I'm not sure if it's still the same,but they did have a thing where if you spent 1500 dhs on food and drink, they wouldn't charge for the venue. I went to a couple where we had canapes and shwarma, but paid for our own drinks. You could do this or give everyone a glass of juice or wine - don't know if your budget would run to this. I've also been to canape parties in peoples' house where the club catered. I particularly enjoyed the dessert fingers.

Hope you get sorted.

#6 tri-geek

tri-geek

The Big Cheese

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6840 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 07:59 PM

I think Spinneys does some catering. Have you thought about a desert adventure?

#7 elephantrjm

elephantrjm

Super Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 12:27 PM

The One also do some catering and I have hosted an Abu Dhabi Mums' social where the Nihal Indian restaurant catered - that was really nice and quite inexpensive, but you need to stress that you want the food to be mild! I'm not sure if they could provide any furniture.

NIHAL RESTAURANT
Po Box 72788
Abu Dhabi
United Arab Emirates
Telephone: +971(2)6318088 Facsimile: +971(2)6347088

#8 Camrock

Camrock

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 01:23 PM

Thank you peoples :thumbsup: I will investigate and will post my findings :biggrin:

#9 Janine&boys

Janine&boys

Super Mentor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 09:46 AM

I am doing the same thing in November - party at home, people from all walks of life, and The Club is catering, providing furniture, glasses and staff. Very reasonable prices for the food etc. I haven't used them before as I am not a member, but they come highly recommended so I am confident it will be good.

Sign In