30 replies to this topic

#1 DesertDream

DesertDream

Dhabi Lama

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7406 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:06 PM

Is there anyone else here hate having to get into those MRI machines?? I am having an 'open' MRI done, well it doesn't look open enough to me. I saw it today and I have actually tried to get one done earlier and gave up on it. In the UK it seemed easier to do. They seem to have spacier MRI machines then here and everyone was reassuring, however; I just can't seem to get the courage to get one done here :sad: . I don't like being squeezed like the filling in a sandwich between two slices of bread ( that's what the open MRI looks like anyway) and then to make it even worst they will tie you down by the head and neck too :sob: !! Now, I made the appt, and it is soon, but will I go through with it..? Only God knows sigh* Guess I am looking for encouragement here!

#2 Susan58

Susan58

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:14 AM

Is there anyone else here hate having to get into those MRI machines?? I am having an 'open' MRI done, well it doesn't look open enough to me. I saw it today and I have actually tried to get one done earlier and gave up on it. In the UK it seemed easier to do. They seem to have spacier MRI machines then here and everyone was reassuring, however; I just can't seem to get the courage to get one done here :sad: . I don't like being squeezed like the filling in a sandwich between two slices of bread ( that's what the open MRI looks like anyway) and then to make it even worst they will tie you down by the head and neck too :sob: !! Now, I made the appt, and it is soon, but will I go through with it..? Only God knows sigh* Guess I am looking for encouragement here!

Oh dear

is it possible to take someone with you who can give you support and comfort. I had it done in the UK a couple of years ago and yes they talked me through the whole thing. It may be the same here but if not I would definately take someone who preferably has been through it too.

#3 chriso767

chriso767

Presidential Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1525 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:17 AM

I had it done here a couple of years ago , at the Al Noor, airport road. I had 2 done, c spine and brain. Each took around 20-30 mins and honestly it was fine. I think the thought of it, is far worse than actually doing it. Good Luck

#4 offie

offie

Super Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:42 PM

i had one a month ago and it was fine it was at gulf and they were great, although the first one didnt work but they did it again and it took only 30 minutes

it wa smy first one every and the guy it was great

#5 kj

kj

The best is yet to come

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1212 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:42 PM

I too was a bit apprehensive before mine last year. But the guy at gulf diagnostic was great, didn't take too long and wasn't nearly as bad as I had thought. The results were through in a day as well so no long wait.

#6 DesertDream

DesertDream

Dhabi Lama

• Members
  • 7406 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 06:52 PM

Oh dear

is it possible to take someone with you who can give you support and comfort. I had it done in the UK a couple of years ago and yes they talked me through the whole thing. It may be the same here but if not I would definately take someone who preferably has been through it too.

Thank you all very much, you are all so nice. Susan, I was thinking of taking someone with me as every time I have been I have been alone, but with the one I did in the UK, the nurses were so supportive. I think what made it even worst for me is when the nurse I saw a couple of days back told me to be careful all my hair clips were out etc. so the MRI wouldn't burn me.. so that is still on my mind too. I will let everyone know if I manage to get it done. It will be a Cervical MRI-less than a week to go!!

#7 serene

serene

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:17 PM

I hope it goes well for you DD.

Will keep you in my prayers...

#8 DesertDream

DesertDream

Dhabi Lama

• Members
  • 7406 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 11:44 PM

I hope it goes well for you DD.

Will keep you in my prayers...

aww thank you Serene , that's nice of you :)

#9 Susan58

Susan58

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 03:29 AM

aww thank you Serene , that's nice of you :)

Hi again

I had a dear friend who was a great leveller at times like this. He suffered MS for 25 years. Passed away last week and would have been 50 in September. Every time I face challenging situations I think of him and how much he would have given to experience what I was able to. Dentist, flying, MRI !!! Bite the bullet and just get it done as chris says there is more energy wasted worrying about it. Also, plan something fab for afterwards - give yourself a real treat.

#10 DesertDream

DesertDream

Dhabi Lama

• Members
  • 7406 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 03:39 PM

Hi again

I had a dear friend who was a great leveller at times like this. He suffered MS for 25 years. Passed away last week and would have been 50 in September. Every time I face challenging situations I think of him and how much he would have given to experience what I was able to. Dentist, flying, MRI !!! Bite the bullet and just get it done as chris says there is more energy wasted worrying about it. Also, plan something fab for afterwards - give yourself a real treat.

Hi Susan,
I am sorry to hear that. That's inspirational truly.. maybe I should just do this for Chris then...If I get it done then it would be all thanks to his courage that gets me through but, but, and yet another but, hope he will not frown down at me if I do run out! haha. I'm chicken, what can I say. Thank you Susan, hun.

#11 loopy

loopy

Super Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:39 PM

Hey DD,

I know that this is a bit random, but I remember my Sociology prof from university saying he had to have an MRI and he was really stressing, so he brought in vanilla as it apparently helps relax you. Ok, I am sure there was something more to it than that, but it was 10 years ago! All I can remember is vanilla and MRI! Maybe some relaxation essential oils will help to calm you?

Good luck x

#12 chriso767

chriso767

Presidential Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1525 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:05 PM

Just found out I have to have another MRI scan too , just waiting for the date.

#13 DesertDream

DesertDream

Dhabi Lama

• Members
  • 7406 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:46 PM

Just found out I have to have another MRI scan too , just waiting for the date.

I have mine in a few days , where do you live on st 36?? I live near there haha!

#14 DesertDream

DesertDream

Dhabi Lama

• Members
  • 7406 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:51 PM

Hey DD,

I know that this is a bit random, but I remember my Sociology prof from university saying he had to have an MRI and he was really stressing, so he brought in vanilla as it apparently helps relax you. Ok, I am sure there was something more to it than that, but it was 10 years ago! All I can remember is vanilla and MRI! Maybe some relaxation essential oils will help to calm you?

Good luck x

Thank you :) I really need someone with me I think, will have relative go along, I am dreading mine, I have done an endoscopy, and the nose thingy -and if anyone has had that, they know how bad it is( whatever you call it!) and even screening etc and had several operations.. yet I for some reason just feel I don't want to do an MRI.. strange isn't it?

Edited by DesertDream, 20 May 2010 - 11:52 PM.

#15 chriso767

chriso767

Presidential Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1525 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:36 AM

I have mine in a few days , where do you live on st 36?? I live near there haha!

I live up on 36th Street near the cricket stadium, near the new mosque being built, how about you ??

#16 DesertDream

DesertDream

Dhabi Lama

• Members
  • 7406 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 11:41 AM

I live up on 36th Street near the cricket stadium, near the new mosque being built, how about you ??

I know where you mean, do you mean the brown mosque with the shop? It must be another sector/zone though. I am the opposite end but will be moving house shortly anyway, nearer to the bridge that enters into Kh A ( if we take that way there) or near the Petrol Station depending.

Edited by DesertDream, 21 May 2010 - 11:42 AM.

#17 chriso767

chriso767

Presidential Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1525 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 03:21 PM

Its near the new mosque being built, no shop at that one though, good luck with the move !!!

#18 DesertDream

DesertDream

Dhabi Lama

• Members
  • 7406 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 10:43 PM

Hi again

Breaking news!! I did my MRI! I did my MRI!!!Does the happy dance hehe*

Well you probably all want to know the details now haha. Okayyy, here goes. First of all, I thought I intially had to go on my own as my daughter was late coming from another city, I was almost late for my appt.. and was ready to cancel it given any excuse at all! That was my first opportunity for an excuse. " No, you are going!" So that was me being scolded haha.. okay soo off we go.. I thoughtjust maybe the hospital will say you are too late and have to make another appt... nope didn't look like it. It was a private clinic what can I say -- so they were quick enough to see me. The technician was different from the one I was suppose to see last time and seem polite. Then he took me to a different room than the room I saw with an MRI machine a few days back. This one looked smaller in diameter, a little bit more opener ( just a little ), so reached inside-- ayyy, good so far hehe! Then he ask me to remove all metals etc.. but not until I ask if this and that is okay.. I am psychologically paving the way here lol. I lie down, he puts the 'belt' around my neck to keep it still :angry: and then wants to insert some other big pillow like cushions in side near of the neck chain ( cuff whatever it be)-- we negotiated :smile: and he said okay I could leave it as long as I don't move my neck- I agree... now... for the part where I go inside the thing, I went in a little at first, back out again and inside again- after feeling okay I said go ahead. On two other occasions he gave me the opportunity to get out of it - anyway having giving technician a hard time, I spent a good enough time in there and when I heard voices, I was like 'Yay! I have finished' The technician said I did far better than he expected.. as IF I could run away! But I didn't move and that wasn't a problem for me. It went better than I thought - it was due to my DD being with me and the diameter of the machine being small and of course change of technician. Glad that's over!! Have to wait for results in a few days now. I saw another younger lady there and she -poor dear- was going through the same thing haha.

Thank you all very much all for your encouragement and thanks Susan and of course Chris :)

#19 DesertDream

DesertDream

Dhabi Lama

• Members
  • 7406 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 10:43 PM

Hi again

Breaking news!! I did my MRI! I did my MRI!!! Does the happy dance hehe*

Well you probably all want to know the details now haha. Okayyy, here goes. First of all, I thought I initially had to go on my own as my daughter was late coming from another city, I was almost late for my appt.. and was ready to cancel it given any excuse at all! That was my first opportunity for an excuse. " No, you are going!" So that was me being scolded haha.. okay soo off we go.. I thought just maybe the hospital will say you are too late and have to make another appt... nope didn't look like it. It was a private clinic what can I say -- so they were quick enough to see me. The technician was different from the one I was suppose to see last time and seem polite. Then he took me to a different room than the room I saw with an MRI machine a few days back. This one looked smaller in diameter, a little bit more opener ( just a little ), so reached inside-- ayyy, good so far hehe! Then he ask me to remove all metals etc.. but not until I ask if this and that is okay.. I am psychologically paving the way here lol. I lie down, he puts the 'belt' around my neck to keep it still :angry: and then wants to insert some other big pillow like cushions in side near of the neck chain ( cuff whatever it be)-- we negotiated :smile: and he said okay I could leave it as long as I don't move my neck- I agree... now... for the part where I go inside the thing, I went in the machine a little at first, back out again and inside again- after feeling okay I said go ahead. On two other occasions he gave me the opportunity to get out of it - anyway having giving technician a hard time, I spent a good enough time in there and when I heard voices, I was like 'Yay! I have finished' The technician said I did far better than he expected.. as IF I could run away! But I didn't move and that wasn't a problem for me. It went better than I thought - it was due to my DD being with me and the diameter of the machine being small and of course change of technician. Glad that's over!! Have to wait for results in a few days now. I saw another younger lady there and she -poor dear- was going through the same thing haha.

Thank you all very much for your encouragement and thanks Susan and of course Chris :)

Edited by DesertDream, 27 May 2010 - 10:49 PM.

#20 serene

serene

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 12:25 AM

I'm glad that's over and done with. :thumbup:

Do let us know when you get the results.

Take care DD...

Sign In