7 replies to this topic

#1 Teabelly

Teabelly

ADW Guide

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 05:33 PM

I'm currently looking at schools in AD and I have been looking at Raha International School in particular. The facilities look great, and the school has a nice feel. Can anyone give me any more detailed info? What is the nationality mix? Does it generally have a good reputation?

I also see that it is an IB curriculum, and as I'm only used to the British curriculum, I was wondering if anyone could share their views and thoughts on both the school and its curriculum? I have had a quick search through the forum and I can find lots of threads about Al Yasmina or BSAK or BISAD but none on RIS!

Thanks in advance

#2 snow2sun

snow2sun

Star Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 06:25 PM

Hi there

My 3 kids have been at Raha since last November and absolutely love it. They have made loads of lovely new friends. We came from Scotland and I had never even heard of the IB programme but it's great. The kids settled into the new school and school work with no problems. Most of the subjects taught are the same as back home (apart from Arabic obviously). I find the teachers really approachable and whenever I email any of them with questions etc, I always get a very quick reply. There are so many nationalities at the school (Scottish being the minority!), but my kids are friends with children from Australia, Canada, Egypt, Sudan, Cyprus, South Africa so there's a real mix which I think is great. Let me know if you need any more info. The website for the school is ris.ae.

#3 jojouk

jojouk

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 09:23 AM

have a daughter age 9 at raha she loves it, she has been in the IB system 4 years previously in munich so coming here was an easy transission the afterschool clubs are good also

#4 saffron

saffron

Super Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 04:54 PM

Reviving an old thread as I would really appreciate more info on Raha International School.
Anyone with children in Year 1 who could share their experiences?

#5 jgarce

jgarce

Star Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:22 AM

I have worked in university admissions for a long time and in the states where anything international and academic is looked at as subpar but the IB diploma is well respected. I also worked at an australian uni very concerned with parity of academic and they also accepted the IB. I think the IB is the gold standard for high school diplomas and will be accepted globally - a good way to go for expats.

#6 aussietania

aussietania

Permanently Puzzled

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5498 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:58 PM

I have worked in university admissions for a long time and in the states where anything international and academic is looked at as subpar but the IB diploma is well respected. I also worked at an australian uni very concerned with parity of academic and they also accepted the IB. I think the IB is the gold standard for high school diplomas and will be accepted globally - a good way to go for expats.

Very much agree with you here.

The IB is more than just the Diploma Program (DP) though. Raha uses the whole system from the Primary Years Program (PYP) through to the Middle Years Program (MYP) leading into the DP. The content can be put together using other curricula (Raha uses mainly Canadian and Australian I think) but all IB schools must cover certain topics and presentation and assessment is always the same. Mine have been at Raha for 2.5 years now and both of them love this school, although the older one is starting to realise that his academic life is going to get a lot more serious from now on.

Raha has lots of information on its website and links to the International Baccalaureate Organisation (IBO) if you want any more info on how it works and where else in the world you'll find it.

I think that whilst Raha isn't perfect (what school is?) it's definitely got potential for being one of the top schools in Abu Dhabi. If I had a criticsm it would be that the school hasn't gotten with the program as far as online access to results, appointment schedules etc and that makes it hard for working parents to keep in touch with what is going on with their children's progress. That, I 'm sure, is an age-old complaint but when I see how other schools do it I get a little frustrated by how long it's taking for them to get with it!!

#7 phoenix

phoenix

Maharishi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5158 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 11:03 PM

When I was a student at one of the top Universities in Scotland,my degree exam results paper always included a 'conversion table' column for North American Unis-couldn't understand this and once asked the Registrar to explain.Reason he gave was that the column translated the 'convential system' results into this new fangled IB system.....As an indicator & time line-I'm certainly middle-aged.
When we moved from UK to AD more than 4 years ago,I sought advice from my kids' school as to which curriculum I should seek out for them to assimilate into-Scotland has a different system from the British Curriculum.Our Head Teacher was very definite that IB was the way to go.
The leading boarding/private schools in UK offer IB.

My kids started at BSAK (mainly due to imminent transition year of No 1 son)-they are exremely happy there however if we returned to Scotland tomorrow I know they would have trouble assimilating into the exam syllabus.Standard Grades and GCSEs are not interchangeable so I just hope my husband's contract and mental wellbeing lasts for another couple of years to ensure kids finish school with enough points for Uni.

In my humble opinion, IB seems to be very much in vogue.

Edited by phoenix, 17 January 2011 - 11:12 PM.

#8 saffron

saffron

Super Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:35 AM

Thank you so much ladies..
While there is a lot of praise for Yasmina, and BSAK- no one has come out with much info on Raha- I mean in the sense of reviews.
I am not only worried about Raha, but also about the IB curriculum.

Thanks AT for your thumbs up on Raha along with your opinion on where it lacks and Phoenix and Jgarce for your views on the IB program!

Sign In