Photo
- - - - -

What Is The Difference Between A Townhouse/villa?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 angiechia

angiechia

Super Mentor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 06:20 PM

Hi

need to ask what may sound like the most stupid question. What really is the difference between a townhouse and a villa? An apartment would refer to a high-rise block, but these two?

#2 mk212

mk212

**^**DIVA**^** <3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1367 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 06:24 PM

I think in Singapore, a townhouse is a terrace or a semi-detached and a villa is a stand alone bungalow?

#3 saffron

saffron

Super Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 06:25 PM

A townhouse, as I understand it, is one which shares a wall with another house and a villa is an independant unit, so more privacy and space around the house..

#4 angiechia

angiechia

Super Mentor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 06:48 PM

ok thanks. And when the property ad says "Al Reef At arabian community", does it mean it is surrounded by the arabic community? or the villa is for arabs?

#5 saffron

saffron

Super Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 06:56 PM

I dont think al reef is meant exclusively for arabs- I know someone on this forum lives there and they are expats- perhaps its a set of villas/TH's in a development called Arabian community..

#6 angiechia

angiechia

Super Mentor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 07:27 PM

i wonder if anyone here have gone through or heard of similar cases? Rental is paid on a yearly basis, so if one is terminated before the lease expires, how do we handle the balance lease?

#7 Proud NL'er

Proud NL'er

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 08:00 PM

i wonder if anyone here have gone through or heard of similar cases? Rental is paid on a yearly basis, so if one is terminated before the lease expires, how do we handle the balance lease?

It would certainly depend on what has been stated on the contract but from what I understand and have heard, you lose. That is why they want the full amount I suppose. Don't quote me on that, I am just repeating what I heard. Maybe there is some type of landlord tenants rule book that you could look at. Good Luck!

A townhouse is attached (by 2 walls) or semi-detached (1 wall) , a villa is not attached to anything by any walls. (AGAIN...this is just my understanding)

#8 angiechia

angiechia

Super Mentor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 08:19 PM

That's why my husband, who is there now and have spoken to some people, has thoughts of changing our plans. Originally we had wanted to rent an unfurnished villa/TH/apartment, then ship everything over. But these properties all ask for 1 yr rental to be paid in advance. So means somewhere down the road, if his assignment ends before the lease expiry we will be stuck.

Over the weekend, he went to a few places in MBZ (where he will be working in), and came across a hotel apartment, with fully-furnished 1 bedroom studio at 200k/yr, but paid on a monthly basis. Plus all gas, water, electricity, internet, maintenance, and even cleaning is included! He is now thinking of staying there on a long-term basis. I am skeptical - for one, the kitchen is small, fridge is small, not sure if they allow us to bring in a piano, plus if they set a limit to how much I can bake???

We have 180k in housing allowance, but 200k seems to be what most properties are asking for in that area, so now I am thinking how to convince him otherwise. What's your take on this?

#9 Proud NL'er

Proud NL'er

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 08:37 PM

That's why my husband, who is there now and have spoken to some people, has thoughts of changing our plans. Originally we had wanted to rent an unfurnished villa/TH/apartment, then ship everything over. But these properties all ask for 1 yr rental to be paid in advance. So means somewhere down the road, if his assignment ends before the lease expiry we will be stuck.

Over the weekend, he went to a few places in MBZ (where he will be working in), and came across a hotel apartment, with fully-furnished 1 bedroom studio at 200k/yr, but paid on a monthly basis. Plus all gas, water, electricity, internet, maintenance, and even cleaning is included! He is now thinking of staying there on a long-term basis. I am skeptical - for one, the kitchen is small, fridge is small, not sure if they allow us to bring in a piano, plus if they set a limit to how much I can bake???

We have 180k in housing allowance, but 200k seems to be what most properties are asking for in that area, so now I am thinking how to convince him otherwise. What's your take on this?

You can get a villa in KCA or B for 180K, those are both close to MBZ. Look on Dubizzle .com, I seen a 3 bed townhouse offered on that last week for 180 or 190 in Al Raha Gardens (KCA)

Regarding the year lease pmts - I would base that decision on whether or not the company pays you that housing allowance up front or weekly/monthly etc...For cash flow purposes, of course it's better not to have to fork over that money in a lump sum but if the company is the one forking it over well then that's their risk and not yours.

I can't imagine that if the utilities are included they can dictate how much you can use. Plus, the biggest cost here is going to be your cooling, not how much gas you use....gas is very cheap.

You can probably bring in what you want as long as its not illegal as long as it fits. We shipped our things here because I like to have my own things around me.

Good Luck! It is a lovely place to live with plenty to do.

#10 tri-geek

tri-geek

The Big Cheese

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6713 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 08:44 PM

Hi Angiechia,

In Al Reef you can get a 3 bed townhouse. (there are no villa's in this community, and UAE use this term willy nilly) A townhouse is attached. A villa is not attached. (as per AD terms) if you come from the US then a townhouse is like a Condo. Al Reef has very small homes, smaller than publicized. To date is a construction zone. You would get for that budget about 1200 sqft. Go to the al reef website or pm me and I can you the floor plans.

I know of the property your DH speaks about in MBZ and I can only tell you. WOW. Its turnkey! I would live there. And thats probs why your DH is interested in the studio, its close to the same size as a 2 bed in al reef with all the bling bling. Quite posh. If you want size, I am sure all the folks on the forum can tell you how big and crappy their villa is. Think plastic kitchens and bad smells.

pm me for more details.

Cheers,
TG

#11 angiechia

angiechia

Super Mentor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 08:59 PM

What I meant is will the hotel allow me to bring in a piano into the room? Guess I have to check with them about this.

Saw the Raha Garden ad too. Just wondering, since many of you stay there, are the townhouses in Raha Gardens furnished? What about maintenance, internet, utilities, satellite TV etc. Are these inclusive in the rent? If so, how much can I expect these to add up to? Is there a communal pool? Think I am asking for too much already!

#12 Proud NL'er

Proud NL'er

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 10:12 PM

What I meant is will the hotel allow me to bring in a piano into the room? Guess I have to check with them about this.

Saw the Raha Garden ad too. Just wondering, since many of you stay there, are the townhouses in Raha Gardens furnished? What about maintenance, internet, utilities, satellite TV etc. Are these inclusive in the rent? If so, how much can I expect these to add up to? Is there a communal pool? Think I am asking for too much already!

Ok, didn't know it was hotel apartment. Not sure the rules on those but I suppose if you were renting month to month but thinking long term, I can't see why there would be a problem with you bringing your piano. You could alwasy ask your husband to check it out and see if it would be ok.

The houses in ARG are not furnished but you can pick up what you need from other expats leaving and get VERY good deals on everything you could want/need...and then there's IKEA for the rest. Maintenance is included in the rent, therefore the responsibility of the landlord. All other utilities are extra. I honestly have no idea what the phone/internet costs as it goes through my husbands company but if my cell bill is any indication, it's probably not much. I think the AC costs are the most. That all depends on if you are the type who leaves the AC on in every room eventhough you are nowhere near it. For the month of Dec, rarely had AC on but occasionally and our bill was 6 dhs so about 1 pound. No communal pool at ARG yet but a few other gated communities do. Is it just 2 of you? ALso, how big are the hotel apartments...in sqft? If it were just DH and I here and any uncertainty, I would have as little ties here as possible.

#13 mk212

mk212

**^**DIVA**^** <3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1367 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 11:55 PM

you might get a 3 bedroom townhouse for 180 at Raha at the moment. I think Al Reef is really far and quite isolated. Its like a big desert area at the moment. Why dont you come over for 2 days and see these properties for yourself. But if you want a larger community, Al Raha might be better than al Reef..

#14 tepuke girl

tepuke girl

Presidential Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1230 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 08:01 AM

The best thing I ever did was come over and have a look myself... Hubby was living here already in a one bedroom apartment. I came over for a look at areas, costs, schools etc so when I went back home I had a very clear idea of options available while my DH continued to look. The 7000dhs I paid to come visit was well worth it and we ended up with a great place in a prime area that works for us at a cost we can afford.

BTW not all places want rent a year in advance now... some take post dated cheques for quarterly or six monthly payments. Rents have come down significantly over the last year and landlords no longer have " all the power".

#15 angiechia

angiechia

Super Mentor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 03:03 PM

thanks for your advice. I agree that it's best to make a trip there to see for myself. Realistically, do you think I can accomplish much over a weekend? Or how many days would you recommend for a recee trip, mostly to see the 4 schools and communities in that area? On the google map, all these areas look really close to one another, but I am not sure what is it like in reality? For eg, is it unrealistic to arrange for school tours all in day 1, and then the residential areas in day 2?

Also, am not sure if I should also bring my girls down? Do the schools require them to do some kind of sit-down assessment? I know RIS can have them do the test in their school back home, but not sure about the other 3.

#16 adasco

adasco

Super Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 03:49 PM

My townhouse is stand alone :rolleyes:

#17 mk212

mk212

**^**DIVA**^** <3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1367 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 04:33 PM

Perhaps 3-4 would be sufficient.. but weekends here is friday and saturday so try not to coome then

Sign In