#1 paps

paps

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 10:24 AM

Ladies (and gents),

any feedback if you have used these? I found from Etisalat shop that this is 400AED. But I don't know if there is a monthly subscription or all i need is to buy the gadget?? For the users, can you recommend using this?
Any pro's and con's are highly appreciated.

#2 sno

sno

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 02:26 PM

we have found it really useful as we wanted internet access as soon as we got here, very good and gives you wireless connection ....to recharge go back to Etisalat desk or take the sim out of the dongle and out it in your phone and charge it with credit in the normal pay as you go . We have had it for four months and no complaints so far, have not started the land line and broadband access yet as am happy to use this and it means I can move around the apartment with it. We have lost it twice when little hands have pulled it out of the side of the pc and posted it for us..!

#3 Global_Nomad

Global_Nomad

Atlas has Shrugged!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 07:51 AM

Dear Paps,

We've been using one since early September because Etisalat has managed to screw up our Al Shamil application a few times in succession. It's working as a temporary device, but I am rather unimpressed. At best, we get speeds of 1.8 Mbps, at worst, something along the lines of .5 Mbps -- akin to relying on a paraplegic turtle for one's internet connection. Voip is out of the question, disconnections occur at random, some days we get knocked off every five minutes for no apparent reason.

In addition to buying the h/w, you need a Wasel sim card and the package that makes the most sense is the *unlimited* (not really, because I think it's limited to 10 GB per month) one, which costs AED 460 per month. The process of determining exactly how much is left on the sim and exactly when we need to recharge it is somewhat less than transparent. I also set up an account on Etisalat.com for e-services, so I can recharge online.

All in all, as a temporary solution it's adequate (considering the alternative of having NO internet access). I activated internet sharing via the Airport Extreme that I brought with me when we moved, so we're able to have access on multiple computers (btw, you CANNOT just plug in the USB modem to a router -- it needs to be connected directly to a computer).

Hope that helps.

KR,
GN

Ladies (and gents),

any feedback if you have used these? I found from Etisalat shop that this is 400AED. But I don't know if there is a monthly subscription or all i need is to buy the gadget?? For the users, can you recommend using this?
Any pro's and con's are highly appreciated.

#4 Ozmama

Ozmama

Superb-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 08:11 AM

We also found it a good temporary option from when we got here, prior to getting settled into our own place. I could download emails, access internet (albiet similar to dial up speed!) but it gave me access to the outside world when we first arrived which was a godsend!

When we moved into our own place, we found that the reception was patchy in some areas because there is so much concrete, and and it just did not have the speed to be able to use skype. It was fine for accessing daily needs, but was happy to upgrade to the Al Sham system once we settled.

Hubby also found it useful once we had our own system, as he used it for work occasionally when he was away without internet access.

EDC

#5 MelbGuy

MelbGuy

Super Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 10:32 AM

Yup.

Agreed on all counts.

I find it handy though as we have a larger laptop at home, and have recently purchased a little eepc. The dongle allows me to connect the little pc to the internet during my various coffee sojourns around town, if there isn't a wireless point available.

The subscription is expensive for the quality of connection, but if it's the only choice (there is no scope for land connection to our place in Mushrif at all) it's alot better than nothing.

Particularly for those who would have otherwise limited or no connection to the outside world without it.

:-)

Edited by MelbGuy, 04 November 2009 - 10:34 AM.

Sign In